Is this a solid list to apply to? Chance me?

Hello! I have posted these before but I want another opinion because I have changed a few things.

Demographics

• US domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) or international student: US citizen and Canadian Citizen
  • State/Location of residency: Texas
  • Type of high school (current college for transfers): Online private school in California
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity (optional): White female
  • Other special factors (first generation to college, legacy, athlete, etc.):

Intended Major(s)
Neuroscience
Forensic Science
International Studies
Biology

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.96
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 4.32
  • College GPA (for transfers):
  • Class Rank:n/a
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 31

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s)) I have taken all honors courses except in my foreign language and elective classes. I will have 5 duel enrollment classes with ASU (all A’s except a B in anatomy and physiology.

Awards

Extracurriculars
Summer program shadowing doctors in the Dominican (45 hours)
Junior volunteer at local hospital
National Honor Society
I am 16 so I am getting a job soon
Travel and tourism Club
School is starting commitees to plan events and things so I will join those

Essays/LORs/Other
I am a decent writer so those will be pretty good
My LORs will be from my counselor (8/10), I dont know what other teacher yet, and my mentor in the Dominican Republic (He is a doctor who I shadowed)

Cost Constraints / Budget
about 30k

Schools
(List of colleges by your initial chance estimate; designate if applying ED/EA/RD; if a scholarship is necessary for affordability, indicate that you are aiming for a scholarship and use the scholarship chance to estimate it into the appropriate group below)

• Safety (certain admission and affordability):
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln
    Texas Tech
    Westminster College-UT

• Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)

• Match
    University of Utah (Top choice really want to attend)
    San Diego State University
    University of Miami
    Dalhousie University
    University of British Columbia- Vancouver

• Reach
    UT Austin (Don’t qualify for auto admit because my school is private and in california)
    Vanderbilt or Dartmouth
    (only want to apply to one because I don’t see myself getting in or honestly attending)

If you really want to attend U of Utah, I think you have an excellent chance for that if you show interest (visit possible?).

On the other hand, there is quite a gap between your Reach schools and your matches. with your GPA and ACT score you could get into some very good schools in that range. Not an issue if you love those matches you listed and would be perfectly happy at any of them…

I can’t chance you, but your list seems balanced. I agree U Utah will be a likely admit…they do not take demonstrated interest into account when making the admissions decision, do don’t worry about that. Of course, you should do virtual programming to learn as much about the school as possible, and visit in person if you can.

I am not sure how much merit you will get at Utah, so affordability could be an issue. Make sure to run the net price calculators at all your schools to get cost estimates, some are more accurate than others. NPCs may not be accurate if your parent’s are divorced, own a business and/or real estate beyond a primary home.

1 Like

Why University of Nebraska-Lincoln? Seems like an odd safety choice. I think there might be very limited shadowing options there considering it is actually a pretty small town without the college. Its a solid hour (maybe hour and a half from a major airport). And if you don’t like football or want to be in a sorority, I would pick something else. Maybe University of New Mexico or ASU? But its a good list.

SDSU will cost you $42K per year. Going to an online school means you don’t reside in the State of California and pay resident taxes.

You also are not physically present in the state, so you wouldn’t get instate residency tuition because that applies to instate resident students.

1 Like

I really liked their forensics science major. I havent been able to find another one at other schools. Any suggestions fro other schools with forensics science major?

There’s a lot of lists. You might look at some of these.

Your list seems accurate to me except Miami is a low reach with your scores.

You might sub or add in Syracuse as a similar school with easier entry although neither will hit your 30k mark.

If you are doing international studies you can find good aid with your scores…such as Aizona/Arizona State both win Honors, Florida State, SouthCarolina, College of Charleston. Those will hit your 30k and can be additional alternatives to Utah. You can add Mizzou and Arkansas to the list.

Good luck.

You’ll definitely get into Utah although not all majors are direct admit. I’m a bit doubtful about your chances of merit without AP/IB and you aren’t in a WUE state. You would need to plan on getting residency after the first year then the total cost without merit is roughly $45K in year 1, and $25K each subsequent year.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.