Is this true about the UCs...?

<p>I’m planning to apply to UC Berkely, UCLA, UCSD, and UC Irvine :]</p>

<p>True or False with explanations plz :]</p>

<ol>
<li>UC Berkeley/UCLA’s accept people mostly based on GPA/course load and ACT/SAT scores.</li>
<li>A person with strong stats will be accepted with a mediocre essay.</li>
<li>AdComs do not prefer creative personal statement, rather they like straight to the point pieces.</li>
</ol>

<p>So my sophomore and junior GPA is 4.64 and my ACT Composite is 34 :] I’m wondering what’re my chances??</p>

<p>Thank you for ur time!</p>

<p>Do you live in California?</p>

<p>Please look at last year’s decision threads for those schools. Berkeley and UCLA are the two UC’s with more holistic decisions, which means that the essays count, as do EC’s. Also check the decision grid for UCSD (don’t have the link immediately available), which shows that EC’s count. Given the budget cuts, this year could be beastly for the UC’s.
Are you ELC?</p>

<p>I live in California and I’m ELC :] </p>

<p>decent ECs: Math Team Captain (in math team 3 yrs), FNL (anti-dug/alcohol) President: 4 yrs, Key Club 4 years, CSF 4 years</p>

<p>essays should be decent :]!</p>

<p>Will you need FA? If I remember correctly, the UC app asks for parental income for the past two years, right on the front page. The UCs are in dire financial straits, as you probably know, so full-pay students will be at an advantage. Otherwise, you look like a shoo-in.</p>

<p>yes i need FA :[ but i can contribute as well! i’m not extremely low income, but FA would def help!</p>

<p>To answer your questions, the UCs, especially UCLA and Berkeley, do pay attention to ECs and essays, but GPA counts more than anything else.</p>

<p>bumppppppp :]</p>

<p>Can you give us your UC GPA?</p>

<p>they really ask for parent income on the first page?</p>

<p>UC GPA: 4.25 :O</p>

<p>is it true that they look at 3 gpas, unweighted gpa, fully weighted gpa, and uc gpa?</p>

<p>bump!! help please!</p>

<p>each of the universities of the UC system evaluate their own way. There is no single answer to your question. Many of the UCs have declared the mechanism and weighting they use to admit students - look at UCD, UCSD and UCSC as three examples - and in those cases they look at only the UC GPA. On the other hand, while neither UCLA nor Cal provide specifics on their more holistic, less formula driven admissions process, it is likely that they look at as many bits of information as they can to make their decisions.</p>

<p>Here is the link for Freshman selection 2010 at UCLA
[Freshman</a> Selection - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/FrSel.htm]Freshman”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/FrSel.htm)</p>

<p>SD only scans essays looking for adversity obstacles; otherwise, they don’t care about them – SD is all about the numbers. Cal and UCLA are much more holistic and read the essays. But again, campuses are big on overcoming adversity, so write about it if you can.</p>