Is this worth an appeal?

I had applied to a&m but I was not 10% of my class so I had to work a little harder to make my application look well. In early February we had received our final class rank which proves I am now in the top 10 however before I could do anything about it i got a rejection letter from a&m. I wanted to try and do an appeal to see if there could be a way to try and be admitted. I was also told to wait till the spring to apply but i really don’t want to put off school, would being a transfer be a better route? Can anybody tell if there is anything I can do or is it too late for me to do anything? Also any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

The same thing happened to me when I applied for fall 2014. I was in the top 11% at the end of my junior year of high school, and top 7% at the end of senior year. I almost decided to attend the Engineering Academy at Blinn and transfer to A&M after a year, but ultimately I decided to wait and start at A&M in the spring (I also considered UT, but petro engineering was on my mind at the time so I chose A&M).

I actually attended the new student conference for the Blinn program and spoke with the A&M admissions adviser. She told me I should wait until spring instead of going through the Blinn program for engineering.

I’m not sure what the pros and cons are for applying as a transfer, sorry. I suggest emailing admissions. They’ve usually responded within a few days in my experience. Be sure to put some time into thinking of good questions to ask them.

transfers are not guaranteed, top 10% admission is guaranteed. What’s your major? you’re entitled to admission but not major… if you are trying to appeal for a full major, spring admit might be your best pathway. Do not take classes - it will forfeit your top 10% admission if you go for spring admission.

Like Agmom stated, transfer is not guaranteed and by no means are you guaranteed entry into a major. Top 10% can you get you into the school, but chances are they denied you for something besides your GPA.

You are probably better off applying to another magnet school that is still good for engineering and transferring back in if you are dead set on going to A&M. That way if you don’t get in again, you are at least at a prominent school and are still working towards an engineering degree. You could try to go through the Blinn program, I don’t know anything about that.