Is UGA becoming the MIchigan of the South?

@jym626 not a silly question. The University of Georgia seems to have gone under the radar for many years. But based on what is happening, I was just wondering how it is viewed to those outside the state. The only thing that is really silly is the amount of money someone would pay for that T-Shirt.

The comment about Tech was stated not a question.

@Setter4life feel free to count the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin.

UGA and other schools have risen in the ranks, as it were, but IMO there is no reason to try to claim any school is the <<< insert name of school>>> of the <<>.

And whether question or statement,

Ya think? GT is a tech school first and foremost. Gee, MIT attracts mostly STEM majors too. Even though they offer other majors.

As a northerner, UGA didn’t make the initial long list to even research. Michigan was near the top.

For engineering there is zero comparison.

as@UVAmom23 said, this is** NOT true. **

@jym626 “but IMO there is no reason to try to claim any school is the <<< insert name of school>>> of the <<>.”

You are entitled to your opinion or whatever lack of opinion you might have. If you read my post, you might be able to see that my question has nothing to do with trying to make a “claim”. I am solely interested in reading how those from OOS view UGA. Pretty much how @momofsenior1 responded. There is nothing offensive about my question. A nice healthy discussion with a lot of insightful information and there is really no reason for your sarcasm.

Moderator’s Note:
I deleted a few posts. Let’s keep the discussion civil.

No need to be rude, @Setter4life. I am basing my opinion and comments on history. I seriously doubt many northerners consider UGA “the Michigan of the South”.

For history, GA was having a problem with “brain drain”. Many, if not perhaps most of their best and brightest were leaving the state for college, and many were not returning. So, after legislatively passing the allowance of a lottery, in 1993 they started offering the HOPE scholarship. But, there initially was an income eligibility cap that was subsequently abolished in 1995. It took a while for the application numbers to really reflect the upward trend they wanted. For example, the 2003-4 CDS shows only 11,813 total applications were received, and 75% were accepted (8,885).

They have tweaked the HOPE over the years (not worth detailing in this thread as its off topic), and in 2011 offered the Zell Miller, a full tuition instate scholarship. While this doesn’t help the OOS’ers, the # of applicants (both in and OOS has risen, and by 2012 there were 18, 458 applicants, with a 56% admission rate.

Add to that the fact the commonly applications increase to bigU’s after their football team wins things like the SEC division/conference championships, and the fact that the vast majority of college applications are increasing. And add the fact that UGA made a strategic plan to add several engineering programs several years back, and now the 8 engineering majors are ABET certified, this has also contributed to the increase in applicants, especially for those who might prefer this environment or who might be less competitive for admission to GT.

Oh, and UGA is now on the Coalition App. With this, this past year UGA saw another jump in applications, perhaps due in part to the fact that in 2018 UGA started to allow applications via the Coalition App.

So, while not minimizing the improvements in academics at UGA, there are so many other variables that have contributed to its “competitiveness”. To simply look at the # of strong stats applicants being denied is myopic.

Don’t think anyone said your question was offensive Its just, IMO, important to see the big picture.

Ahh-- the arguing about the " Harvard is the Michigan of the East" t-shirt has gone the way of the dodo bird :wink:

@jym626 Thank you! That is the spirit that I am looking for which leads to the UGA of today. Back in the days, all you needed was a pulse to pretty much get into the majority of the Universities. Certain myths were always around and sure, the Ivys were always been the Ivys. But the landscaping has changed and it will continue to change. Many of the smaller schools are in financial trouble and even some large ones as well.

Growing up in S. Florida, I do not even remember hearing or knew of the University Of Central Florida and looking to go to an out of state Flagship did not seem to be a financial burden. Some of the top Universities did not even require test scores.

You are welcome, @Setter4life. Maybe if the OP title had instead been worded more like “why has UGA become so competitive”, it right have gotten different responses than it did, and might have avoided that side bickering about Ross and tshirts that is gone, per Erin’sDad. If you were looking for the history I provided, happy to provided it, but TBH, based on the original Q’s it wasn’t clear that was what you were looking for.

As for UCF, not sure when you were born/growing up, but it didn’t open until 1968, so it is pretty young as far as colleges/universities go.

Agree @jym626. There is simply no doubt that Michigan out of state is much more difficult to get into than UGA. For example, a child in my son’s class was admitted into UGA early, auto admitted to Honors with a scholarship. He was deferred from Michigan (his top choice) and then waitlisted. There are many more examples. UGA is a very good school but not in the same ballpark as these nationally ranked universities as far as difficulty of admission (UGA admission averages close to 50% (I think last year was 48%), Ga Tech out of state is 14%, UVA out of state is 19%, Berkeley out of state 15%, etc. Michigan 19% (in state was 26% last year), etc.

Agreed, @UVAmom23. And IIRC, a few years back Michigan had a big over-enrollment issue, and had to scale back on some subsequent admissions.

And yes, back in the day, several schools, UGA included, seems all one needed was to fog a mirror and they were in. Has that changed? :wink: (speaking as a grad school gator :wink: )

To correct the record. the in-state acceptance rate at UMich is/was 41% for the Class of 2022.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2018/06/university_of_michigan_receive_8.html

The stats I saw for 2023 were 26% in state. I saw this a couple of places and just googled again. The sources were newspaper articles and a college prep site so don’t have info from Michigan itself . .

And to add to this point, using csrankings.com, UMich CS is ranked #6 while UGA is ranked #94.

I may have been looking at overall acceptance rate, which is 27% for last year according to Money Magazine. Overall UGA acceptance rate for last year was 48%.

@UVAmom23 Hey, I’m obviously a big fan of UMich, so if you have a source, then please post. But I would only trust info provided by UMich.

Total # of applications:

Class of 2022 64,917
Class of 2023 64,972

So, I don’t think the in-state acceptance rate dropped from 41% to 26%.

UGA only recently added many of its engineering programs. The fact that they even made it to #94 is surprising!

Overall acceptance rate for the Class of 2023 per UMich was 22.9%.

https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/freshmen-applicants/student-profile

That other ranking comparison was for CS. Undergraduate engineering rankings are:

UGA #108
UMich #6

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate