is UMiami a party school or is that an old opinion?

<p>Was at a party over the weekend and when I mentioned that UMiami is my DS top choice, I was surprised to hear the response that "did I know it is a top party school"?
My DS is pretty serious and academic, but does love to have fun and loves being a sports spectator. He loved our visit to UMiami...opinions please?</p>

<p>Yes, it is a party school, but there are also kids who take their academics seriously. My son who is a student there says the partying starts Thursday night at The Grove and continues throughout the weekend at house parties, frat parties and South Beach. It is up to the individual how much partying they want to partcipate in, but it is more common to than not.</p>

<p>Any other opinions?</p>

<p>OMG...what school isn't a "party school"? Tell that to all the vals and sals who are on full scholarship at UMiami....they will be "partying" all the way to the bank.....</p>

<p>The party school rep goes back to the days when UM was a "play hard" school known only as "suntan U". Those days are long gone. Are there lots of opportunities to party? Absolutely, but the school's slogan is now "At UM students work hard, learn hard and play hard". The level of academics is high and the kids that are there just to party, don't last more than a semester or two. I have 3 in college and don't feel that the partying is any worse at UM than at the other schools. UM is full of academically motivated, bright kids that have their priorities straight, after all, 73% graduated in the top 10% of their HS classes. We have been very happy with our S's experiences at UM. He will be graduating in May and plans to attend Dental School.</p>

<p>M-3-S... he's graduating! :) How time flies. Congrats to him and you both. Wow..I've missed a lot around here....</p>

<p>It's funny to hear talk about how the U is still a party school. The boy tells me all the time how yes, you could party at the U, but that it seems the undergrad party scene is much worse at his supposedly more "prestigious" university where he is a grad student now. Every college is a party school. And the sooner parents realize this the better, so they can talk about the ramifications of too much parting, sooner than later. With us it was simple... Too much partying, the grades fall, the scholarship is lost...Bye-Bye Miami. Hello Community College. </p>

<p>1tcm
UMiami alumni Mom
Future Phd Mom....</p>

<p>Its FUNN n you must be be a good partier because clubs are all over the town…</p>

<p>I concur with the posts here that talk about partying being available at U of Miami (and on any college campus), but that the key to success is being able to balance the partying/fun/blow-off-steam time with serious attention to academics.</p>

<p>My d is a freshman and has certainly had time for fun, but has also done very well academically, joined a great sorority, has a nice boyfriend and great girlfriends. She is loving everything “Miami” these days.</p>

<p>The experience is what a student makes of it, but most would agree that having the maturity to find the right balance is key!</p>