is UMiami really Sun Tan U?

I was just admitted to the U for Human and Social Development with a really solid president’s scholarship of 26K/yr. I don’t know much about Miami and won’t have the chance to visit until March, but their aid is making me re-think my previous opinion of the school, which is based off of mixed reviews and popular reputation. Is there anyone here who’s visited or has previously attended UMiami that can speak to the “party school” vibes that are so often referenced in conversation/ online? I’m a serious student really seeking a challenging and lucrative curriculum, and I’m afraid of going to a school where parties take precedent over quality of learning, though I am by no means against attending social events myself. I haven’t heard about financial aid yet, but Miami just might be the most affordable option, so I reeeally want to like it. That being said, I want to like a school that can offer me a really comprehensive education. Is that actually possible at the U, despite its recent rep?

Also, does anyone know about the career services/ placement or alumni involvement? Thank you!!

@emd136 I have done some research and I think both types of kids coexist, as it is fairly large for a private school. There are a great number of serious driven students combined with a number of underachievers who party too much and seem to have earned the school the Suntan U nickname. Regarding career services/alumni there are some mixed reviews on this on Niche and other similar websites. Good luck

There is definitely a mix at the U - just like at other colleges. My DS is a junior at UM. Extremely studious and not a partyer. He has found like-minded people. He has a great group of friends, is involved on campus, and is a leader. He couldn’t care less about South Beach, beach parties, and Greek life and still absolutely loves the U. It’s been a great fit for him.

The Toppel Career Center helps undergrads, plus the engineering department has it’s only career services dept.

Opportunities are there for students who take the initiative to take advantage of them.