Is UW-M early action binding? Co2017 newbie to college apps

Through the Common App, is Madison’s early action binding? It’s “usually” not binding, while early decision “usually” is (according to google), but I’d like to know for sure before I click the button. I’m rather new to thinking about colleges so forgive me if this has an obvious answer.
Also, would early action give me a better chance of getting in? I’ve heard it doesn’t always. I’m confident I can get in EA or ED, but I’d like to have the decision a little sooner lol. Thanks!

UW doesn’t have ED. If you apply by 11/1, your will hear back by the end of January. No application window at UW is binding…

Don’t rely on Google,carefully read each school’s admissions website.

@intparent thank you! I did look at the website pages for freshman admissions but couldn’t find it explicitly stated. Seems like I’m applying early action :slight_smile:

They don’t really call it that. But you will get an earlier decision if you apply by 11/1.

@intparent The UW admissions website now refers to the November 1 application deadline as Early Action and the February 1 application deadline as Regular Decision.

@“Liesel Anne” it’s not UW-M unless you are referring to UW-Milwaukee.

Ah, I see they are using the term EA (on my phone, it didn’t jump out at me).

I suppose it has something to do with allowing the Common App now.

To address OP’s question about higher likelihood of being accepted EA, does anyone know the statistics regarding that? I thought I’ve read in previous years that everyone is strongly encouraged to apply by the early rather than regular deadline, but not sure whether that translates into a higher chance for admission.

With more applicants (presumed with the common app) I would think they will have a larger pool of postponed applicants. They still need to leave enough room for those who get applications in by the deadline. It will be interesting to see how many instate choose to use the common app. Remember, UW does not run things like those schools with an early decision, students do not necessarily know if they are in by the first period.

@wis75 how does it work at UW? I thought the first deadline resulted in an “accept”, “deny” or “defer”. Do they just defer everyone who isn’t accepted?

Defer = postpone as I understand it. Some will outright be denied admission, many will need to wait until spring. Learning this at least lets a student know something earlier since it is still rolling admissions. Top students may not apply until they hear decisions from other schools and get admitted soon after while many need to wait to see how many places remain for them. It seems logical for those postponed to have a backup plan. With current notification practices students still will have time to do other applications.

Re the title- no binding for accepting an admission.

Another factor coming into play this year is the use of the common application. Much easier for students to add UW to their list but not attend if admitted since they added it to plenty of other schools further up on their wish list.

“Postpone” is no longer a term used by UW.

[Quote]
Application Decisions

We cannot begin to review your application until all required materials are received. Review our requirements to ensure you submit a complete application.

Types of admission decisions applicants can receive in our Early Action competition:

Admit: Admission to UW–Madison is competitive and selective, and we review applications using a holistic process. We admit students based on academic strengths who will thrive in our rigorous curriculum and who also add unique perspectives to our student body. We consider essays, extracurricular involvement (both in and outside of school), letters of recommendation, talent, and interests to consider how students may contribute to our campus community.

Defer: Applicants who are deferred are neither admitted nor denied upon initial review. Deferred applicants have the potential for success at UW–Madison, however, we would like to review midyear grades and other supporting material prior to making a final decision. Decisions on deferred students will be made by the end of March.

Deny: Students who are not competitive for admission or who fail to complete their application are denied admission.

Types of admission decisions applicants can receive in our Regular Decision competition:

Admit: Admission to UW–Madison is competitive and selective, and we review applications using a holistic process. We admit students based on academic strengths who will thrive in our rigorous curriculum and who also add unique perspectives to our student body. We consider essays, extracurricular involvement (both in and outside of school), letters of recommendation, talent, and interests to consider how students may contribute to our campus community.

Wait List: Students who are offered a spot on our wait list are neither admitted nor denied. If space becomes available after May 1, admission may be extended to some students who have accepted the wait list offer. Every effort will be made to inform students if there is space for them or not by the end of June.

Deny: Students who are not competitive for admission or who fail to complete their application are denied admission.

Great restatement above of information students can find on the UW website. Students- when in doubt check a college’s website for official answers. Ask them- email- for clarifications. Any answers given on CC or other nonofficial websites are merely opinions/interpretations.

Change in terminology. Same protocols but perhaps easier to understand. Still a yes/no/maybe situation as for previous years. Still not binding on the accepted student’s part.