Is Washington and Lee okay for a Nerd that doesn't drink?

My son wants to visit Washington and Lee (we live in CA) but I am worried it is a waste of time because of the culture? He is a serious student, loves to run but doesn’t enjoy drinking and takes school seriously. Wants to study engineering at small college.

He’ll be fine. The bigger thing to look at tho is the school is not ABET approved. Doesn’t mean his outcome and experience won’t be great. It does mean that he’ll likely be excluded from employers that seek students only from abet approved schools.

There’s many a kid there that doesn’t party hard.

It’s a gorgeous school and cool little town.

7 Likes

I have a freshmen son there now.

100%, an athletic kid who’s serious about academics and not interested in drinking would fit in and could have a fantastic experience.

I could write a lot, but I will stop with that. I would be happy to answer any questions here or via PM.

It’s a small liberal arts college, which isn’t for everyone. If that’s what your son is looking for, then it’s worth a visit!

4 Likes

He’s still very young. Most college students do learn to enjoy a beer or two once they get there.

6 Likes

Going a bit crazy? Way past that:)

Did Covid affect your son’s freshman year at Wash & Lee ?

Not being ABET approved and engineering is a caution flag that should be seriously considered. For me, if the student wanted to become an engineer, it would be off the list. Be sure to see what engineering students do once they graduate to make sure it’s something your son wants to do.

6 Likes

Only in the sense that it affected everybody-- masks indoors, tests, etc. But otherwise, no – had a full sports season, had a full social life, in person classes, etc. I am beyond impressed with the W&L administration, for hpw they handled Covid, but also how they are handling everything else.

1 Like

Don’t worry about the drinking and social life. There are lots of kids who don’t drink. But engineering is not W&L’s strength. Maybe Lehigh?

Thank you everyone for your input. It makes me feel more comfortable booking flights and hotels. We are fully aware that it is not an “engineering school.” Not even sure my son is an “engineering kid,” but he wants to try it. If he decides he loves engineering, the program would give him the ability to go on to grad school in engineering. His top contender right now is Davidson with “pre-engineering.” We hear W and L has nicer facilities. The culture of the school is the most important for him and ability to work with the teachers in small class settings. We just booked the tour for March. Appreciate your comments.

6 Likes

Good luck to you.

In regards to small or LAC with ABET approved engineering, you may investigate Bucknell, Harvey Mudd, Lafayette, Swarthmore, Trinity, Union amongst others.

50-60% don’t survive engineering nationally so you are right he might change. But if he doesn’t, while I’m sure W&L has fine outcomes, ABET will help a ton (although if he wins the Johnson, that really helps :).

I wouldn’t count on grad school for engineering - in fact, many engineers who go to grad school will end up in business to round out their backgrounds - an engineer with MBA is golden…as is law.

W&L is awesome though - fantastic campus, fantastic town.

Good luck to you.

1 Like

Any interest in dual-degree programs, such as those that certain liberal arts colleges have with Dartmouth and Columbia? This option would meaningfully expand your son’s college choices while providing substantial breadth and depth in engineering. Students interested in this path typically begin as physics majors at their first institution.

Be really really careful with the 3-2 Engineering programs on a bunch of levels:

1. transfer into the engineering part is by application
  2. the rules for the funding for the 4th and 5th year are different than years 1-3
  3. missing the final year at the home college is a problem that sneaks up on students
  4. integrating into the engineering college is not necessarily easy- at least 2 that I am aware of have a reputation for treating the +2 students differently
  5. absence of data: I have not been able to find any real data on how the outcomes

If the more conservative vibe of W&L appeals consider Bucknell, which has a similar vibe, a campus that is almost as pretty & an ABET accredited engineering program.

5 Likes

I was thinking of Bucknell too. ABET accredited engineering, small, but still a strong school for other disciplines if engineering doesn’t work out.

4 Likes

The students with the academic strength to get into the more selective LACs mentioned above are more likely than the national average to be able to handle the rigor of an engineering major.

A student who wants engineering in a small school may want to consider small engineering focused schools (there public ones like the “mines” schools as well as various private ones).

Bucknell is similar to WLU in having very heavy fraternity and sorority participation.

2 Likes

For a personal perspective, the Dartmouth 2-1-1-1 program has been reviewed extremely positively on CC by @akin67, whose son reportedly “loved” the experience: Hamilton rigor.

1 Like

That’s true - as @momofboiler1 pointed out the other day.

I thought of listing Rose Hulman, etc. and there’s Milwaukee and Olin and others - but it does seem like the LAC is the better fit since OP said: “We are fully aware that it is not an “engineering school.” Not even sure my son is an “engineering kid,” but he wants to try it.”

They’ve obviously fixated on W&L (and Davidson) so I get it - and they do have a program and I’m sure have solid outcomes but that can be checked. Obviously, if someone wins Johnson, it’s a home run.

That said, it is dangerous to assume grad school in engineering and having ABET keeps you in job contention at - I asked my son - he said - 100% of the jobs he applied for he thinks asked for attendance at an ABET accredited school (could be emebllishing). I’m sure W&L has strong contacts though to help place.

And the 3-2s - how many really attend - leaving your friends early, having to integrate in a new place…just doesn’t seem realistic (to me).

Good luck to the OP regardless - but now from all of us they know there are ABET approved LACs - if they decide to go that route.

However, Dartmouth has a very “wet” reputation (and very high fraternity and sorority participation), which would be cause of concern given the OP’s student’s preferences, in addition to the usual questions about 3+2 or 2+1+1+1 programs (admission and financial aid to the school with engineering, extra year of costs, etc.).

2 Likes

In any case, I’ve seen several posters consistently disregard a positive, personal account of a dual-degree program. Moreover, some posters appear eager discuss the potential drawbacks of 3-2 programs while ignoring an excellent 2-1-1-1 program entirely.

1 Like

I don’t think W&L has the conservative vibe it may have had 10 years ago, fyi.

Also, paradoxically, by having such high Greek participation, the scene is much more inclusive and low key than at other schools. W&L has taken a different approach to schools kicking Greek organizations off campus. By embracing them they have a great deal of oversight over them, and are extremely clear about zero tolerance for hazing.

4 Likes