It's Christmas morning!

<p>Gosh, I had no idea, LOL. I am so ignorant of big-time sports; I have a ton to learn. Thanks for the education, y’all. Seriously!</p>

<p>So, Kent State got paid to be humiliated? Sounds like a pretty fair trade.</p>

<p>Yep…that’s the reason why these weaker teams will play the stronger ones…for the money. They need the money to fund their programs. </p>

<p>Last year, San Jose St got paid a million to play Alabama.</p>

<p>If that one guy had caught a couple of those passes he dropped it wouldn’t have been so bad. I mean at least they put some points on the scoreboard.</p>

<p>Sea_tide: My bad. I should have said Georgia Southern.</p>

<p>nicollec – is your daughter pre-med, by any chance? Was she an Honors College Ambassador during the May 31-June 1 Bama Bound? If so, we may have met her: extremely pretty, personable young lady with bobbed brunette hair, smart as a whip and extremely impressive. Cute as a button and a fabulous ambassador for UA Honors. Double-majoring in something else – biology, maybe?</p>

<p>If this was someone else, please forgive me. It just sounds like your description of your DD. (As you say, the bobbed hair is unusual at UA. I wear a bob myself, so I notice when other people do.)</p>

<p>momrerads: Georgia Southern is being paid $400,000 and North Texas is being paid $600,000. UA is making $200,000 from playing Penn State in Pennsylvania, so the net cost for the four non-conference games is $2,000,000.</p>

<p>Sounds like it could be my daughter, but no…she is a freshman, and didn’t do BB until the last one. Sounds so much like her though, you even had the majors right LOL!!</p>

<p>*UA is making $200,000 from playing Penn State *</p>

<p>??</p>

<p>That just doesn’t seem like enough. It must cost Bama about that much to fly everyone there, feed them, put them up in hotels, etc, etc.</p>

<p>When I went to those PDFs, that Penn State contract seems to be for games that were played years ago…not for the ones that were played last year and for the one next week.</p>

<p>That PDF was signed in 97 for the 2004 and 2005 games.</p>

<p>These were for before Saban came to Bama.</p>

<p>I really doubt Bama is playing next week for only $200k…not worth it.</p>

<p>m2ck, the contract for the 2010 and 2011 games is found on page 13 of the 14-page PDF. In reality, Alabama isn’t getting money to play Penn State as it paid Penn State $200,000 to play in Tuscaloosa in 2010. The money changing hands is more of a formality in case either team decides to break the contract. Alabama and Penn State are also contracted to play each other in 2013 and 2014 and the home team will pay the visiting team $200,000 for each of those games. Nick Saban has really nothing to do with the equation as Mike Shula was the head coach when the contract was signed and the contracts only specify that each university’s varsity football team will play in the contracted games.</p>

<p>Ahh…thanks for the clarification.</p>

<p>I guess the deal is that when you play a school like PSU, it’s a home/away contract and each school knows it will make good coin during its home game. But, for schools like GSU, there isn’t that home/away situation…both games are at Bama. And I guess the San Jose St deal was a one time only deal?</p>