Its Fall 2021 Where are the new National Merit full rides Universities?

Please recheck the ASU calculator. It seems that the full tuition scholarship for National Scholars is for in-state only. The change seems to have occurred this week.

4 Likes

I think you’re right. On the ASU National Scholars page, where it used to say every NMF would get the New American University – National Scholar award, now it says:

Arizona National Scholars: “College Board National Recognition Program awardees automatically receive the New American University - National Scholar award upon admission to ASU with no additional action needed.”

Non-Resident National Scholars: “High school seniors who are named National Merit Finalists…receive the New American University merit award at ASU. Use ASU’s scholarship estimator tool to see scholarship criteria and details.” Not “New American University - National Scholar” – “New American University merit award,” which are their general ACT/GPA automatic awards. So if you’re OOS, it looks like National Merit now gets you nothing beyond what you’d already receive.

3 Likes

See further comments on the topic at College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022 - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums

and Arizona State Class of 2026 - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Arizona State University - College Confidential Forums

3 Likes

Mississippi State University offers close to a full COA package (full tuition and housing for 4 years… also study abroad scholarship). On top of that, the student is still eligible for other scholarships (departmental, leadership, etc.).

1 Like

University of Alabama is our number one choice. (assuming its current scholarship remains again) They accept all ones AP’s. The NM scholar award is 5 years of tuition and an on campus room for 4 years with stipends etc. Their Engineering is a 4 year degree instead of five. The tuition for 5 years is for Undergrad, Grad or Law. This means a student could arrive as a sophomore, spend 2 years on their Bachelors degree and the next 3 years on a Masters or Law school. The stipend can cover food and fees. Alabama has numerous alumni for future networking possibilities and or employment. They also have the summer abroad stipend. If UCF returns to their previous pre Benacquisto Full Ride then it will also be up for consideration.

4 Likes

Have you visited Alabama yet? We were pleasantly surprised on our visit (first school we toured), and my perception has strengthened with subsequent visits to other schools. They were very well-organized and professional. The facilities were very well maintained, and the students with whom we interacted were extremely personable. Plus, the fifth year of tuition is extremely enticing.

ETA - UA has stated that the package will remain virtually unchanged. Although they have not stated exactly what the package will be, I was told that we can expect the “same” package as last year. I put same in quotes because I cannot recall exactly what the admissions officer said, but she told me we can expect an equivalent package.

2 Likes

University of New Mexico has a terrific merit award for NMF.

One thing to keep in mind is that at UA the housing is only covered while they are undergraduate students. Still an amazing scholarship though.

In 2017, my son received a text while on spring break (from UA). It offered the traditional NM scholarship there but it had an additional incentive. It wouldn’t hurt to attempt to bargain for 4 years of on campus housing regardless. He took the Benacquisto at UF. But the UA offer was fabulous.

UCF: Looks like its good for 40 students Out Of State.
Non-Florida Residents… as far as I can tell, it would cost $82500 to attend for four years if you disregard transportation and personal expenses. They seem to be awarding this exact amount. ($80,000 plus NMS award.)

The following awards will be stacked and include:
• UCF Merit Scholarship valued at $80,000 plus a waiver
of non-Florida fees for tuition.*
• National Merit Scholarship Corporation Award
All finalists who are first choice designees also receive:
• Expedited admission decision to UCF
• Guaranteed admission to the LEAD Scholars Academy
(upon application)
• Guaranteed admission to the Burnett Honors College (upon
application) with benefits that include:
• Priority registration
• Special orientation program
• Access to faculty mentoring
• Exclusive research and internship opportunities
• Access to honors housing in the Towers at
Knights Plaza
• Guaranteed on-campus housing for four years with
available housing preference (upon application)
• Laptop computer
*Limited to 40 students

Cost of Attendance
Parent/Relative On/Off Campus Parent/Relative
Tuition & Fees $5,954 $5,954 $20,980 $20,980
Books $1,200 $1,200 $1,200 $1,200
Room $7,318 $3,352 $7,318 $3,352
Board $4,180 $2,236 $4,180 $2,236
Transportation $1,866 $1,866 $1,866 $1,866
Personal Expenses $3,104 $3,104 $3,104 $3,104
Total Costs $23,622

1 Like

Is this a waiver of non Florida tuition or just the Non Florida Fees for tuition? Otherwise its a no-go.

1 Like

Looks like $80K plus NMS and the out of state tuition waiver?
How many OOS NMS do they normally accept? Probably helpful to apply early if it’s first come first serve?
At least we can stop refreshing their page now looking for this newsletter!

1 Like

I just sent an email seeking clarification on this point. Based solely on the wording, it appears as though it applies only to the OOS fees, not the tuition itself.

ETA - Upon looking further, it appears as though the non-resident portion of tuition is classified by UCF as a fee. It’s likely a tuition waiver.

https://studentaccounts.ucf.edu/tf-tuitionratescurrent/

That’s what it looks like to me also. Basically that would be a 4 year tuition scholarship. It was only based on 28 semester hours a year and not 30. A slight bit more but…it seems silly to waive the fees associated with the OOS tuition but not the tuition.

The actual cost with waived tuition is $16500 or so per year. That would be a full ride for any frugal student taking 15 hours per semester.

1 Like

Wow, you would be correct based on that chart. So the the total $80K at NMS comes in at $82500 I believe. It pretty much makes one equal to the in-staters plus the percs associated with being NMS. It seems to be the same pre- Benacquisto Scholarship at UCF only limited to 40. Nice!

1 Like

This isn’t a full ride but one I didn’t know about until recently. Wayne State University in Detroit has a President’s Award for NMF that includes:

• $12,000 per year for four consecutive years
  • $5,000 per year toward on-campus room (double occupancy) and board for up to four years
  • One-time study abroad funding up to $2,500

They also have a Great Lakes tuition discount where undergraduate students who reside in a state or Canadian province that borders on a Great Lake pay 110% of the Michigan resident rate (in-state tuition is about $14,000/yr).

1 Like

Isn’t the UTD offer covering everything except $2,340? It gives $11K per year for non-tuition/fees but COA calculator shows that R&B and books cost $13,340 per year.

UCF offers $20K per year and waiver of OOS tuition/fee upcharge. Its COA for in-state tuition, fees and R&B is currently $16,254 per year. Add another $1200 for books and you get $17,454 (currently). The $20K payment more than covers the total cost of tuition, fees, R&B plus books, right?

2 Likes

UTD covers almost the entire COA. We were told that freshmen are usually about 1K in minus the first year, but save about 1K (not sure if per semester or year) once they move to the apartment style dorms with kitchen and ditch the meal plan. The cost of books (at least for some majors) is very low.

UTD also adds additional 3k over 4 years for those who didn’t get 2.5K directly from NMSC.

2 Likes

Those of you looking for the full list of merit scholarships for National Merit, try the Extra Mile CAC dot com web blog that contains a google sheet of all colleges offering National Merit scholarships including full rides.

2 Likes