I've heard VT doesn't give out many merit scholarships to freshmen. Is this true?

<p>^^^topic^^^</p>

<p>In a word, yes. You can apply for the general scholarship fund and give it a try, but from our experience in knowing many very bright area kids (in state) who ended up at VT, the money offered from the school is tight. That is the downside of going to an (fairly)affordable state school I guess.</p>

<p>There are scholarships at each colleges and also if you get invited to honors dorms you might get scholarship for that too.There are 37 freshman that were invited to honors dorm this year, how many were offer dorm scholarship is unknown to me. There are full scholarships but only offer after second year. VT seems to have a philosophy of show us how well you do in college then we give you money. This is how I see it. BTW there are scholarships every year one can apply for at VT.</p>

<p>from my experience with VT, they actually do give out a considerable amount of merit money to entering freshmen. Don’t let the thought that they don’t give out merit scholarships sway you from applying, they most definitely do (and in good amounts too).</p>

<p>^ care to elucidate Barq? stats, amount awarded or anything? even a reasonable amount could make a huge difference to OOS applicants.</p>

<p>Best talk to Scholarship and Aids office and also get in touch with the department of interest. One thing I know about people at VT is that they are all very nice and will work with you and answer you questions. I don’t think there are any full ride merit schorlarships but there are schorlarships from the departments and Honors.</p>

<p>I barely got any my freshman year, about 1000 from the general scholarship last year.
This year I had a 3.85 gpa and got 200 dollars, the rest was loans. I am out of state though.</p>

<p>if i remember correctly, i got a couple of different merit awards from them and it ended up between 4k or maybe a tad bit higher per year. For out of state, I’m sure this doesn’t make a huge difference but in state it does. I do know for a fact though that there is a process to apply for a full scholarship to tech. I know a couple of people who went through without having to pay anything, starting with freshman year. I’ve forgot the name of the program but I’m sure you can find it on their site.</p>

<p>If it matters, I am also instate. I am not sure if that comes into factor somehow.</p>

<p>I’m an out-of-state incoming freshman, and I received a 5k merit scholarship for my freshman year. To give you an idea of my transcript, I had a 4.41 weighted GPA (not sure what the unweighted was), went to a magnet program in a public high school with majority AP/Honors classes (highest available), was ranked ~39/339, and scored a 2180 when I took the SAT.</p>