I've never felt this way about a college... UMiami.

<p>So I have this feeling in this stomach about this school.</p>

<p>It seems like the perfect mix of culture, academics, athletics, city, and social life I've been looking for.</p>

<p>What do you guys think of this school? And what are considered the strongest fields?</p>

<p>Thanks Alot, please help me out!</p>

<p>Why not just stop agonizing about your choices and choose Miami? I don’t usually respond to your posts about various schools (which seem to be literally all over the map) but I have to say that as a parent I think you are over-thinking the whole issue and asking questions that in real life don’t matter. Your schools will all provide you with a decent education and if you do well at any college on your list you will either be able to get into some grad school or get a job (assuming the economy ever recovers; right now there are people with degrees from much better-known schools and much more obscure schools who cannot get jobs commensurate with their abilities and training). So I would say if Miami seems like a place you will be happy and be able to work to the best of your abilities then you have solved your problem and found your school. I know nothing about Miami’s academics and know its athletic programs get a lot of press, but that said, it is “real” school and probably has highly qualified professors–so unless you have the opportunity to attend a school you like that has a more widely known and markedly superior academic reputation I don’t see why you would not just opt for Miami and be done with it. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Miami is well-known for its programs in Marine Sciences (a double major), Music (in particular jazz and guitar), and increasingly in architecture and business. Donna Shalala has been steadily increasing the academic profile of the school during her tenure as the university’s president. It is a fine school in an exciting and vibrant city.</p>

<p>That said, mattmom is 100% correct. What we think of the school is entirely irrelevant. What do you think of the school? What attracts you to Miami? Every school you’ve asked about will provide you with the opportunity for a great education; you need to choose the place that you feel will give you the best opportunity to use your talents.</p>

<p>I had forgotten that Donna Shalala was the president–she is very well known and a highly respected educator who also had an impressive career in public service. That speaks to Miami’s efforts to gain or regain academic stature, not specifically to whether it is the right choice for you.</p>

<p>Dont even get me started on Donna Shalala. Haha. But Miami is a very good school. If its for you, then go there. Take the plunge, make your choice, buy the gear and be done with it. Yogi Berra said, “when you get to the Y in the road…take it.”</p>

<p>UMiami-
Great school.
Great academics.
Small class sizes (at least for my son).
Great advisement.
Donna Shalala- great!</p>

<p>As Mattmom stated- if you love it, accepted, can afford the cost- send in your deposit and be done. Miami is a great school, but just like every other school, there is no guarantee that any student will do well and have a great experience. If the "fit " feels right, then go for it.</p>

<p>UMiami is a good school in a great city. If you like it, go there.</p>

<p>this is EXACTLY what i thought when i visited there about a week ago, and you know what? it seems true. Sports are amazing, and if you want to get really pumped search youtube for The U on espn, it was an awesome documentary about the football. The kids were all really welcoming and seemed cool, and it is the best looking campus in the nation, hands down. My only complaint is the dorms, but after visiting i don’t think i’ll be in there much. The minute i stepped onto the campus i knew it was the one. I visited Wisconsin, Illinois, Tulane, and some more and Miami, in my opinion, is the best. It just seems like the perfect mix of everything.</p>

<p>How is its econ program? I mean not that in school of business, but in CAS.</p>

<p>The econ program is good. A friend of mine prepared for law school by triple majoring in Economics, History, and Political Science in CAS. As you might suspect, he was awarded the 3/4 tuition scholarship. He chose Miami over Tulane, UF, and UC-Berkeley. He was happy by the quality of all 3 programs and is now attending a top 20 law school according to US News.</p>

<p>surferbeach
thanks! Now i’m concerned only with the reputation of UM overseas, specifically in middle Asia. I am afraid that my future employers would not consider Umiami such a serious school; you must be stupid if you attended U in a resort area, because Miami is a city of partiers, they would probably say. What do you think about this?</p>

<p>I cannot speak for surferbeach, but I imagine few of us know enough about middle asian culture to be able to anticipate what their reaction would be.</p>

<p>@fallenchemist
It would be pretty similar to that of Eastern Europeans. No offense taken, seriously, I know UMiami is a decent school and didn’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings. </p>

<p>Now I understand it was a wrong question; however if somebody knows, please tell me about the U’s reputation outside US.</p>

<p>I can not say. I just know that there are alot of foreign students. I think my daughter said there is a member of a royal family there, I think from the Middle East.</p>

<p>Well, just as a guess, people won’t know much about U Miami over there, or for that matter most places in the world, but that will be true for all but a dozen or so schools as far as being really well known for academics. I think what someone would have to do is take it as a way to create conversation during an interview, to explain that UM is ranked in the top 50 in the USA, and that there are thousands of universities around the country, so it is actually very competitive. But outside of Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, maybe Berkely and a some others like that, you will be in the same position for all schools you might attend.</p>

<p>There is a large amount of Chinese people here, among other international students… But I’m not from Asia, so I couldn’t tell ya.</p>

<p>One thing to clear up: Yes we have division 1 sports…but our fanbase is NOT very strong. kids only go to the big basketball games and big football games. turnout isn’t great and enthusiasm can lack. BUT if you like sports, baseball is amazing and you’ll get your fair share of great athletes who you can easily take small classes with! (not a reason to choose a school haha)</p>