Ivy Acceptance

<p>GPA: 3.8 (4/120) Public school in brooklyn..two years ago was the only year that 2 people got into an ivy league in my school.
SAT: 2000
M: 700
W: 590 (6/12 on essay -__-)
V: 710</p>

<p>SAT 2
Math 1: 730
Math 2: 680
US History: 590 (didnt send)</p>

<p>ACT:
Composite: 31
English: 32
Math: 34
Reading: 29
Science: 30
Essay: 8</p>

<p>ACTIVITIES (I go to a really small school and this is all they had to offer)
*BCA Band- 2009-2011
*BCA World Ensemble- 2010-2011
*Peer Tutor in English- 2009-2010
*Peer Tutor in Math 2010-2011
*Kings county hospital Volunteer- October 2011-July 2012
*AV team for Talent Show- April 2012- June 1, 2012
*Peer Tutor in Trigonometry, Calculus and Pre-Calculus. September 2012- Present
*Shadowed Doctor - July 2012- Present
*Marine Ecology course at Brooklyn College: July 2010-August 2010
*Computer Programming and Robotics Course at Brooklyn College: July 2011-August 2011
*School Leadership Team (SLT) - October 2012- Present
*College Now Panelist - May 2012
*A/V Team for National Honors Society Talent Show - April 2012- June 2012</p>

<p>My school did not have AP courses but they did have College level Courses:
Theater: A
Psychology: A
Music: A-
Precalculus: A
Calculus: A-
English: B+
Philosophy: A
Forensics: A
Abnormal Psychology: currently taking
English 1012: A+
Cultural Anthropology: A</p>

<p>Other:
Under Represented Minority: African American Woman
Income: ~80,000</p>

<p>what are my chances at the ivys?
I have applied to harvard, columbia, dartmouth(had my interview and it went absolutely great), brown, yale and princeton.</p>

<p>The best students have a 3-5 percent chance in the regular decision round. Your SAT has a weakness in the verbal area. You are an excellent candidate for almost any college in the US so make sure you have a couple of really strong safeties and don’t put all your eggs into the Ivy league basket. I’d suggest at least one LAC, maybe UVA or other state school with a strong reputation and a home state school as an absolute safety. And yes, go for the Ivies with all your heart and who knows…</p>

<p>Thank you.
I applied to NYU and Wesleyan.</p>

<p>I was hoping that my essays cancel out the writing score weakness because I know I am a good writer.</p>

<p>^^^bump. Any more opinions</p>

<p>Essays may overcome the hurdle. Good luck and happy new year.</p>

<p>I think your scores are fine. IMO, you should have only turned in the 31 ACT. It is strong enough. My only concern is your leadership in EC’s. Colleges in the ivy want to see leaders in many cases. I have 1 kid at ivy’s and another just got admitted to Harvard SCEA. If I can give advice to any URM it would be to demonstrate that you are the full package. Scores are important but once the box is checked they look at the course load transcript and leadership capabilities. Hopefully you had others from all walks of life read your essays to make sure they understand them. I use the term "all walks of life "because the essay must make sense to all people in the admissions room. None of us know who will be reading these essays. I feel you will get one ivy but RD is tough on all. Your scores were better suited to go early. I would be worried about my transcript and leadership compared to others. You will get one ivy, I just hope it the one you want. Columbia, Dartmouth,brown all look like great shots. Harvard and Princeton will be tough because of the 5-7 percent URM acceptance rate in RD. But Have faith!! It can happen, Good luck!</p>

<p>I think you are in good standing! honestly scores aren’t as important as we think, I got a 2250 but still got deferred from my SCEA so they take into account much more. As long as you had really good essays you’ll be definitely be in the running! Good luck I applied to some of those same schools too!</p>

<p>@Dreamweaver will they take into consideration the fact that my school does not offer any other activities. I have basically done everything that they offered except the school’s magazine and my school’s basketball team (which I was actually on but had to quit b/c it was impeding on my school work). I was just going to send my ACT and my subject test but my counselor advised me to also send my SAT score (I am kind of regretting that right now).</p>

<p>@EzzyBee95…that is such a great score. You are def. in. </p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies.</p>

<p>CU Scholar-- The school report will tell them the information about your school and what it has to offer. I am positive that you will be fine if that is all your school offers. The adcom’s know that every student can only do what is available to them. Sending the SAT is ok because the ACT is a better score and will supercede the SAT. The ACT is clearly in the 97 percentile which is great for any student no matter of race. The impressive thing about your ACT, is it shows no weakness and that you are in at least in the 95 percentile in all subjects. That is a true asset for your application. Do not worry! Your stronger than most URM. If it serves you any comfort, Once both of my kids reached 31 or higher we stopped the standardized test and concentrated on other things. Now lets hope those essays carry you and reflect who you are in the application. Success will find you. Do not let others with scores depress you. It will not be the decision maker in the process.</p>

<p>Thanks Dreamweaver. This really quells my EC fears. Happy New Year.</p>

<p>Bump bump.</p>