Ivy help

<p>I made mistakes on FASA and CSS for my daughter. Has this ruined her chances for admissions? She has been rejected and 4 schools so far but still waiting on ivies. 2 of 4 were supposed safeties. She has 29 ACT superscore. 28 ACT regular and School doesn't compute GPA, but average unweighted B+/weighted A. Gap Year volunteer in Asia. Please help very worried.</p>

<p>You should be able to correct your mistakes but it shouldn’t affect your chances anyway.</p>

<p>You sound like you shot for the moon though, even among your safeties. Go back and check out what the middle 50% is for each school.</p>

<p>Thank you for your response. She is a URM from predominately non- URM private school. Extremely hard classes, no grade inflation., top math classes but wants to major in Foreign language instead. We are really nervous because of all rejections so far…</p>

<p>Most schools don’t superscore. What were her safeties?</p>

<p>ACT without superscore is 28
URM- AA in small school 99% Caucasian
Gap year Asia
GPA B+ Unweighted /A Weighted
Highly competitive private school does not calculate GPA
One of two AA students in top math classes since freshman year
12th grade AP BC Calc, AP Latin, AP Chem, etc…
Wants to study Asian studies/ Chinese
SAT 11. Math 2: 720 USHist: 660</p>

<p>"Safety: U of Wash - Seattle
Smith
We were obviously wrong. Any advice?</p>

<p>I don’t know much about U Wash Seattle, but if she is not a Washington resident, it’s not a safety. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, her grades and scores are low for the ivies, even with URM status. The demographics of her high school won’t make any difference. As you probably know, the ivies are crap shoots for everyone with acceptance rates frequently in the single digits. Are the only schools she’s waiting on now ivies? If so, I would be concerned, because there are no guarantees with the ivies and similar level schools. It sounds like she has already taken a gap year, is this true?</p>

<p>Are there location and price constraints? What does she want to major in? It seems to me that you’ve received bad advice from your high school with regards to crafting a list of schools to apply to. At this point, I might see if any schools have late application dates and put in some more applications, especially if the only schools left on her list are ivies. </p>

<p>There is a much read thread on CC of Andison. I’ll see if I can find it and link it for you. Not saying this will be your situation, but it has some good info. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/192395-no-acceptances-one-kids-story-year-later.html?highlight=andison+what+went[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/192395-no-acceptances-one-kids-story-year-later.html?highlight=andison+what+went&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Did you put Smith as a safety?</p>

<p>I know the university of arizona’s application due date is May 1st.</p>

<p>Check out your home state schools. It is possible that you may have a chance at that. </p>

<p>My D just got an invitation to apply to U of Pitt and don’t live in PA however, she really distinguished herself academically beyond most kids.</p>

<p>A 28 is not a bad score. There is nothing wrong with your child but high aspirations and an uninformed strategy may be her undoing here.</p>

<p>Also, look for schools with rolling admissions. You can apply there.</p>

<p>Also, check out HBCUs. You may get scholarships with your stats if there is money left over at this late date.</p>

<p>Thanks for your brutal honesty. I can’t help but think she would have done better attending a local public school and getting easy an easy All A GPA. I have definitely waisted the little money I have as a single parent. She is stil waiting on Occidental and Pfitzer. Are they reaches at this point too?</p>

<p>I think it is more the act that is holding her back- more than the gpa. </p>

<p>The gpa would be school dependent but the act would be the comparison for the pool of applicants. It sounds like it was on the low side for her school choices.</p>

<p>28/29 ACT for URM is decent. 34/35 on Eng section. I guess those admitted to ivies on here with this range are exceptions. Madaboutx - Still waiting on Occidental and Pfitzer. Do you think they are realistic?</p>

<p>I wish people were more brutally honest with you and your D 3-4 years ago.</p>

<p>You have a high achieving kid with high aspirations and a low level of information and strategy.</p>

<p>She should get into a “good” college just maybe not the ones she selected.</p>

<p>Folks get caught in the trap of not knowing what they don’t know. It’s been a hard learning process for a lot if us too. </p>

<p>You need to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. Get a plan B together fast. I don’t recommend an unscheduled gap year for your D.</p>

<p>What do you suggest. We are so disappointed. Classmates with lower stats and scores have gotten in to really good schools. What do we need suggest to do to salvage this. Where would you have applied and what is a good plan B?</p>

<p>Madaboutx - please do not fear being brutally honest. We really need help and suggestions.</p>

<p>I think Occidental and Pitzer are matches. You are correct that not a huge number of African Americans get 28 or higher on the ACT. </p>

<p>If your daughter went to a rigorous private school she will be better prepared for college. Don’t beat yourself up about that decision. </p>

<p>Has she applied to her state school? If she doesn’t get into any of her schools (let’s hope that doesn’t happen!) there is a list published in early May of schools that still have space available.</p>

<p>Here is a list of colleges with late application deadlines. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.petersons.com/college-search/late-deadline-schools.aspx#4-1-2013[/url]”>http://www.petersons.com/college-search/late-deadline-schools.aspx#4-1-2013&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^What @Prefect said.</p>

<p>No acceptances thus far and only a few left. Heard from 3 today with no good news.

• trying to maintain a positive hopeful perspective. Congrats to all who have received good news!!!</p>

<p>What does your daughter’s college counselor say?</p>

<p>Nothing yet, spring break, but I shall call and send and send an email in the morning. We are still kind of in a stake of shock at this point. We just can’t figure out what we did incorrectly to have such horrible results…</p>