jackets for boys?

<p>My son started at prep school this year and I bought him two inexpensive blazers to start with, but he is already outgrowing them and I want to get some advice before investing in others. At a school that requires a jacket and tie, what sort of jacket is preferred? I don't know if corduroy, wool, or linen is best. How many buttons? Does brand matter? </p>

<p>In general, my son is not big on making fashion statements. I want him to be comfortable, and to have a few options for color, weight, etc. So far, he has one black linen blazer and one light beige, but he texted me today to say that his shoulders are feeling squashed. I already had to replace the dress pants purchased over the summer, as he grew several inches and put on 15 pounds this summer. </p>

<p>If anyone has information to share on good places to purchase, I'd appreciate that as well! </p>

<p>thanks! </p>

<p>RL</p>

<p>When I was a wee lad, my first blazer was navy blue with gold buttons in what they call “hopsack” cloth. This sort of fabric could be worn year round, though it will be a tad warm on the hottest summer days and will want a sweater layer for the coldest winter months. It is generally done in a wool poly blend that is hard wearing.</p>

<p>Here’ s a link to Lands’ Ends version ($79):
[Boys</a>’ Hopsack Blazer from Lands’ End](<a href=“http://www.landsend.com/pp/HopsackBlazer~107029_1189.html]Boys”>http://www.landsend.com/pp/HopsackBlazer~107029_1189.html)</p>

<p>You can’t go wrong with that as your next purchase. They also offer one in mens sizes (the price goes up, I’m sure).</p>

<p>Then add a corduroy or wool (houndstooth check?) blazer in the winter, and perhaps a blue cotton one in the spring. Honestly, he could wear that navy blue hopsack over tan and stone khakis every day and no one would bat an eye.</p>

<p>Kohls, ftw. They have very discounted mens jackets and dress pants. You can’t go wrong with blue and/or black blazers.</p>

<p>Blue blazer, khaki pants is pretty standard and actually the required dress for some events like graduation ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks! He is no longer wearing boys sizes, and I think I will have to bring him along to get the right fit. He’s been all arms and legs, but is beginning to fill out now.</p>

<p>Here I go again…Goodwill in a good neighborhood. I just can’t bring myself to spend anything over $20 for a blazer for a boy who outgrows them every three months. You have to sort through, but there are always high quality coats in the mix. My son, by the way, hates clothes shopping in general and Goodwill in particular; he sits in the car and I summon him in if I have something worth trying on. :)</p>

<p>As far as material goes, I don’t think you can go wrong with a light wool sportscoat. Except, for the first and final few weeks of the year, it will be comfortable.</p>

<p>Eddie Bauer and Brooks Brothers have had BIG sales, 60% off this and last week.
I’ve been impressed with Eddie Bauer for the year-round items. Brooks Brothers is more wool. They seem to have sales at the beginning and end of summer on Fall wear.</p>

<p>We buy two beautiful Michael Kors navy 100% lightweight wool blazers at Macys on sale for $99 - $119 every year. My son has gotten a full year out of each purchase. The retail price is $275, but wait for a sale. You can buy online if you’re sure of the size. The navy blazer over stone or khaki pants as suggested above will do the trick.</p>

<p>I’d avoid linen, unless the BS is in the tropics. It wrinkles easily.</p>

<p>If you have a TJ Max near you, stop in. I was sticker shocked at the mall this week when I went on a mission to buy DC a winter coat and gloves. I found the same brands at 60-75% off at TJs :)</p>

<p>Our local TJ Maxx doesn’t carry blazers, though I did get some inexpensive dockers and polo shirts there. I do want to check out the huge Salvation Army store one of these days, but it is a bit of a drive for me. I found one brand name wool blend blazer on ebay for $20 and it is slightly large, but looks like new and DS can grow into it. Yes, the linen is a bother, as I have to iron or steam it frequently or it appears slept in!</p>

<p>After two months of school, I have ascertained that most freshman boys wear the conservative navy blazer/tan pants combo. Upperclassmen are more flashy and will go for corduroy, green wool, and even madras plaid blazers!</p>

<p>My son had to wear a dress jacket or blazer for boarding school. Of course, once he got to school we didn’t see his Navy blazer again until the end of the year. We also ordered an official school blazer for him during orientation. When he came home at the end of the year, the Navy blazer was about 3 sizes too small and had grotesque stains on it from a “shaving cream incident” that took place “oh, in September, or maybe early October.” We never saw the expensive (optional) school blazer. Ever. That was delivered directly to him and later destroyed when he used it as a makeshift levee to stop an overflowing toilet from spoiling the carpeting in the hallway of his dorm. Your purchase decision should account for these sorts of parent-puzzling supervening events.</p>

<p>For his part, he didn’t mind having one really nasty blazer. If anything, it was a way of complying and playing by the rules without being utterly submissive. (He never articulated that last part. I just imagine that was where his head was at from my overall view of things.) This is not to say just ditch him with one jacket and never check up on it. That’s what we did and that’s basically negligent. I think you have to gauge your child (without imprinting your own values/wishes onto him) and go the cheapest route feasible given your child’s tastes and comfort level…oh, and interest level in girls who would (hopefully) not be attracted to the guy in the shaving cream-stained blazer.</p>

<p>@D’yer Maker: God bless you! I’m still laughing my socks off at the “makeshift levee” as, unfortunately, I can picture that all too well. While I rather prefer a more formal dress code, I’m afraid my S would not shrink from performing similar engineering feats with his apparel, so I totally second your advice about going the cheapest route.</p>

<p>@Rellielou: My daughter reports that one senior at her school has rocked a dinner jacket for formal dinners, as well as some full-on paisley suit. That sounds like someone having fun within dress code to me!</p>

<p>Lands end is a good place to look
Often some schools will have an agreement with LE or similar.</p>

<p>I would also look for a coat that can be “washed” vs dry cleaned.</p>

<p>While geting blazers for boys seems a problem, for girls it is even worse. It is hard to find dresses that come to the knees.</p>