January SAT for UC's

So January SAT score’s came in today and I ended up doing considerably worse than my previous one-time sitting, since I wasn’t really motivated and didn’t put too much effort. The main reason I took the January exam is because some private schools accepted them. I happened to include UCB as a score recipient, and was wondering if the January score would negatively affect my application. The UC’s are definetely my first choice. I made a mistake, and I’m just hoping it didn’t cost me.

If the decline is just 20-30 points, it won’t affect much.

If it is almost 100 points or more, it will negatively affect.

Between these two ranges, there is a lot of subjectivity. I think they’ll look at your high school’s math scores to actually determine whether you slacked off or you are just poor at the subject.

@determined2300‌

I thought they only looked at your highest single sitting? I’ve already established myself during my Oct SAT, when i did well, but not the absolute best.

I think we can all agree that if you score high on the January SAT, UC’s probably won’t consider them anyway. Is that the case if you score lower too? Like 90 pts lower(30 on each section)

Yes, it is highly likely that UCs won’t even look at them. Also, they want to see your highest single sitting, but also want ALL the scores. Here’s a guideline on their website:

“In the College Board’s Score Choice module, ensure that all scores are sent to UC. We require all scores and will use the highest scores from a single administration.”

from http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination-requirement

That is why, although they’ll consider your application with the highest single sitting, they will review other scores as well.

So, let’s just hope that your application has already been reviewed thoroughly and they won’t need to open it again :slight_smile: