Jefferson Scholars 2020

S went through this a few years ago so I understand the nerves. It was his first big interview and an overall great experience that helped form his comfort with these for the future.

The info session, at least in our region (FL), was a mixer for the kids and foundation members / interviewers to get to know each other a bit prior to the interviews. This was more of a benefit to the kids to relax them prior to the interviews. Don’t worry about it, it wasn’t critical.

From the conversations in the room, you could tell they definitely read your essays and familiarized themselves with your resume. Questions were fairly conversational. They want to see how, not so much what, you think. They will take a deep dive into your application asking you questions about items of interest. They will also ask about current or historical events like “What do you think about global warming?” or “What historical figure would you like to have dinner with and why?” That type of stuff.

It’s a panel interview. For S it was a panel of 4or 5. Not a 20 question drilling but more of a deeper exploration of some topics. They’re gauging your ability to connect, intellectual curiosity, sense of community, leadership qualities, etc. This isn’t something to spend hours preparing for (You might want to practice telling your story, answering the basics - strengths and weaknesses - so they feel natural) as you’ve been preparing your whole life. That’s why you were nominated!

Congratulations and enjoy - really try to - the process. S didn’t move to final stage but it was a great experience and one he’ll remember for a long time.

1 Like

I got nominated this year. I couldn’t attend the reception but they assured me that my attendance had no impact on my shot at the interview. I went and it was about 20 minutes with a panel of 3 alumni. As was mentioned earlier, they asked me questions that were deeper than your regular interview like “What is the best book you’ve read in the last year and why was it so good” and “What is your biggest regret” and “What 2-3 people, dead or alive, would you have at a dinner party?” They also asked questions based on my application, like if I found it difficult to maintain a job in high school. They also asked questions based on the answers I gave - I brought up social justice and then they asked more about how I involve it in my life and whatnot. Didn’t ask anything about the school so don’t worry about studying UVA facts before you go in. They called me about an hour after my interview (once they had completed all interviews) and let me know that I didn’t make the second round but they really encouraged me to look into attending UVA because they thought I would make a great fit. Overall it was a great experience.

@hrwalle - I’m sorry you didn’t move forward but it sounds like you have a positive outlook which will take you far. My D interviewed this weekend but we’re very aware that it’s a long shot.

Good luck to all who are in the interview process! Does anyone know the date of the on campus component if you move on? All I see is ‘late march’ Thanks!

@isitfridayyet They say they will release final decisions on March 23rd, so it must be before then, probably the weekend of the 14th or 21st. Good luck!

Hi! I am a nominee from Charlottesville, Virginia! UVA is my top choice and my interview is on Friday, a few hours before the Early Action results come out so I am a little nervous. It will either be a very good day or a very bad one.

^ Good luck to you. Regardless of outcomes, just the fact that you are a nominee means you will have many good choices. Soon a great path will become clear. Pursue that with the determination, devotion and humility you have displayed in high school and everything will be fine. The scholarship doesn’t define you, You define You!

Good luck!

Jefferson Scholars competition is weds march 18-21st. (Sat).

Does getting the nomination help you get into the school? My school didn’t take it seriously at all and the first kid who went down to ask the counselors about it got the nomination.

^ The scholarship and the school are totally separate. Nominations have nothing to do with acceptance to UVA (seriously). They’re not just saying that. Now if you make the final round it is far more likely you’ll be accepted but not a guarantee.

If you’re OOS, UVA is a very tough get. Good luck.

Thank you @rickle1
I made it to the second round which was 4 Charlottesville people out of the original 27. I just had my second interview, it went well but I am sure that the other 3 are amazing so I do not have high expectations. I will find out later this week if I made it for the final weekend. We will see! I am honored to have been nominated and made it this far, no matter the outcome.

^Well done and congratulations! Best of luck regardless of where you land!!!

I just had my first round interview today and I have a couple of questions. 1. Does everyone get an interview or is it only a select few from a region. 2. When will I be notified of my status regarding the second round interviews? 3. Are there even second round interviews or does it depend on location?
Thanks! Congrats and Best of Luck to all those nominated for this, extremely, competitive scholarship!

Only from my Daughters experience this year , I can tell you she was notified about being a finalist within 4 days of the interview.

Good luck!

@kobe248224

1. In my region, it appears to have been only some.
  2. In my region, it was a few days later.
  3. Depends on location from what I’ve read in past year’s threads

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for your response! I still haven’t heard anything back from the committee, but I’m crossing my fingers!

Hi! Would anyone be willing/able to share some of the types of questions they were asked in their regional interview? I have mine in a few days. I’ve read that they look for critical thinking skills about current events/politics, etc and that they ask questions involving your application, but if anyone has more specifics to share, that would be great. Good luck to all!

@idlabach20 is your interview Friday? Mine is :slight_smile: good luck!!

@idlabach20

In my interview, we dove into a bunch of current events and my opinions on them. For example, we discussed whether the US should intervene in international conflicts. We also talked about the problems and benefits of a liberal democracy.

I compete in debate a lot so they asked me what debate tourney meant the most for me. They asked me the one time that I failed miserably and what I learned from that experience. They asked me what, I think, is the biggest issue facing our generation is and how to solve it. They also asked me what book would they find if they were by my nightstand table.

My interview was pretty relaxed but it was sort of intense. It was really hard to gauge their view of me and read their facial expressions. One of the people said “you seem to know what you are talking about” when he asked me another question. IDK what that means. My interview was also scheduled to be 15 minutes, but it lasted around 20 - idk if that has any meaning or anything.

I hope this helped, best of luck to you!

Hey everybody!

Today I found out that I am the alternate in my region. Does anyone know how likely it is for an alternate to make the finals? Does it only happen if the nominee cannot attend or is there a chance that the alternate could make it as well?

Thanks and good luck to everyone else!