Jewish life at Geneseo?

<p>Hi! I'm ridiculously interested in Geneseo but I was wondering about the Jewish life on campus. Hillel.org is telling me there's only about 250 Jewish students, and it doesn't have its own Hillel. Is there a welcoming environment for Jews at Geneseo? Does it ever feel like theres an overwhelming amount of non-Jewish students? I was a bit surprised at the stats, because there's hardly a minority of Jews on Long Island. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>you do also realize that Geneseo is upstate and not everyone in Geneseo is from Long Island. There isn’t a specific Jewish cultural group; if there is, it’s not promoted. They do the whole passover meals and stuff though, so its not like Jewish people are excluded and ignored either.</p>

<p>Yes, believe it or not I am aware of Geneseo’s location. I am also aware that many incoming freshmen are from the Long Island area. Thanks.</p>

<p>rebeccar: Geneseo has never been a “destination” for Jewish college students in NYS (or from anywhere else for that matter) ; no idea why…that being said, as with any other college that has a small Jewish population, one needs to decide what they are comfortable with; for example, is a Hillel necessary? does the school excuse students from classes for the High Holy Days? How do the Jewish students celebrate/worship on holidays? where do they go?</p>

<p>The absolute number is not as relevant as the questions asked above unless one is very religious and practices their religion on a continuous basis.</p>