JHU or Purdue. OMG! WHAT A DILEMMA!

<p>Hi guys. I'm gonna get to my question STRAIGHT.
I got into both: Johns Hopkins and Purdue. No aid anywhere, but Purdue is cheaper.
I intend to do Electrical/Computer/Mechanical Engineering.
Cost aside, which would be a better option?
I've been checking out the rankings and shiz.
Purdue is clearly more reputed for Engineering. But JHU is number 14 in the US, according to USNWR. Also, on the Top 200 World univs, it's number 13 (but this is probably due to its brilliant Med school).</p>

<p>Okay. Which is a better option? I know both school are brilliant in their own way, but if I want to transfer to say MIT/CalTech/Berkeley/Cornell next fall, will I be a better candidate if I apply from JHU or if I apply from Purdue? JHU clearly is a better school overall rep wise and generally; but Purdue is better for Engineering</p>

<p>My observations : JHU is number 13 in the world (out of 200), while Purdue in't on the list. Purdue is number 10, 9 and 7 resp for Elect, Comp and Mech engg, while JHU is no. 14 in the US for general Engineering.</p>

<p>I have a slight penchant for JHU, but that is just me.</p>

<p>PLEASE help me, lol. I think I included everything I know about the two, except for their locations, cos I don't know ANYTHING about those. CONVINCE me to goto the better univ, fellow members! ^.^</p>

<p>I also replied to your other thread.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Rankings: First, Purdue is ranked in the QS Top Universities (used by USNWR for world rankings) at #99. However, if we look at the QS rankings for technology, we see that Purdue is #33 in the world and JHU is #67. However, rankings are not really a measure of quality. Suffice it to say that while both are great schools, Purdue has better engineering programs.</p></li>
<li><p>I can’t say for sure what will happen with a transfer, but if I were an admissions officer I would look more highly on either school for an engineering applicant.</p></li>
<li><p>Location is entirely subjective, but here’s the sum of it: JHU is in the midst of Baltimore and has tons of things to do in the city, but that also brings crime into the equation. Purdue is in a small town in the midst of rural Indiana, so the school really is the town there.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I don’t understand how you are in this situation. JHU did not take anyone from the waitlist. So if you really got into JHU you had to sign an acceptance letter by May 1 saying that you would not accept a spot at any other school.</p>

<p>lagunal- good job!
nice sleuthing, agreed…what’s goin on “YouTube”</p>

<p>You said JSU was ranked 14th in the nation. Is that for Engineering or in general? Like you mentioned, Purdue has a very high reputation for engineering.</p>

<p>I might have a bias here, since I am currently studying Electrical Engineering at Purdue and I don’t know much about JSU. BUT I highly encourage you to consider Purdue.
You mentioned you wanted to transfer to MIT/Caltech/… I am 100% sure these schools (especially if you’re in engineering) will see Purdue as a better school than JSU.</p>

<p>As for the town, yeah, West Lafayette is a small town. And in the beginning, it was a bit boring and annoying. But once you make friends it honestly is a great place to live at. No crime whatsoever, free public transportation, great dining halls (apparently one of the best in the nation) and once again GREAT engineering program.</p>