JMU CIS vs. Virginia Tech Pamplin BIT-DSS

I’m in-state VA, and I want to study a business-computing program in college. JMU CIS is ABET accredited, has more CS in it, and has a higher starting salary (just $4k though), while BIT at Pamplin has a lower starting salary and less coding, but is ranked over 200 places higher overall for biz (nationally) as per Niche 2020 rankings. I personally like JMU, but which is recommended if I stay within VA vs. if I leave the NoVA/DC/MD area? Thanks.

If I go to grad school (it is my end goal), does ugrad matter too much? I don’t want to an MBA. I want to do an MS in IT or IS.

I would go with the school you feel most comfortable with - both are going to give you a good education and valuable resources for internships and jobs. Its a matter of which school you think you will excel at the best personally.

Visit both and figure out which you see yourself at for 4 years or more.

Then JMU definitely. I just hope I’ll not miss any job opps. by not going to Pamplin. You’ve said that VA Tech has better career services and a national reach.

I don’t know where I want to live post-graduation. Most probably grad school first. Will going to JMU limit my grad school opportunities (ex. can I still go to Ross, Stern, Babson, etc. if I get good CIS grades?) vs. if I go to VA Tech?

JMU will not limit your grad school opportunities.

Curious - why definately JMU as far as campus you feel better at?

It feels smaller and more personal. It just does. I’m not saying Tech sucks, but I like JMU personally more. The fact that grad schools won’t be affected is very reassuring. Will jobs be affected though by attending JMU? I have no idea where I want to live, although a job at NoVA (my home!) won’t hurt.

Also, is an MBA pretty much the only path after doing a JMU CIS degree? I’d like to do an MS in IT or IS.

Also, isn’t JMU better for business than GMU? I think so.

Jmu is better that George mason for business yes.

If you have toured VT and JMU and like feel of JMU better then I would go JMU.

VT is bigger. I have found I like the sense of community better at Vt (and I’m jmu alumni). Both my kids were much more fond of VT touring than JMU. But everyone is different. They wanted something bigger and grander.

Thanks. But will I get the same (at least similar in quality) jobs with a CIS degree as with a BIT degree (it seems like it)? Also, is it possible to do an MS in Information Tech or Info Systems after a JMU CIS degree?

Also, is a CIS degree directed to put me in consulting? I heard from reddit that the curriculum is audited by Accenture, Deloitte, etc. to make sure that it meets their needs.

You know each school and department has staff to answer these questions.

@cbl1 , is BIT or CIS more competitive to get into?

And also, doesn’t JMU COB have a very strong regional rep?

At vt cis is in engineering and more difficult in acceptance then than Pamplin business school where BIT is locAted.

Jmu has a great reputation in DC area

There is no CIS in VA Tech. There is CMDA apart from BIT and CS, and it is in the College of Science. I was talking about which program is more competitve - JMU CIS or VA Tech BIT.

Also, why is JMU COB ranked so low in Niche? I guess it is a bad ranking site.

Is JMU CIS degree going to be in demand till 2030?

@“1lalalalala!lalalalalala!” In general/overall terms, JMU is slightly less competitive and easier to get accepted into than VT. But I don’t think you can compare individual programs re: competitiveness since there aren’t JMU students applying into the VT program and vice versa.

If you are seeking answers to questions like type of jobs available for various majors, options for advanced degrees at those schools, etc. that info is available on the school’s website(s). In terms of demand for certain degrees, you can research that more effectively outside of this forum:

Google search “jobs available for CIS degree” yields 10+ pages of hits.
Google search “future demand for CIS degree” yields similar results.

sorry I obviously meant CS at VT (engineering dept)

I think JMU business gets low marks on Niche because in a lot of rankings JMU is considered a regional university vs. national university.

Also, is the CMDA major much more demanding that CS? I know its an in-demand major (will it be so till 2030?), I just don’t want to have a low GPA.

BTW, I really like VT, but the reason I’m a bit edgy about BIT is that even in the DSS track, u only have 2 CS classes. JMU has more, but the reason I’m edgy about JMU COB is the lack of national rep and low rankings (I don’t overly care about rankings though). Nevertheless, JMU still seems to have a higher starting salary.

Can I do an MS in IT or Info Systems after a JMU CIS degree, or am I restricted to an MBA? Thanks (hope this isn’t too many questions).

CDMA is I. Science department at vt so easier to get in then Cs in engineering.

I can’t speak to any of your major specific questions.

I can tell you that college is more difficult, for a whole host or reasons, if you’re unhappy with the school you attend.

You’ll also realize that, in life, you make your own way. What your diploma says matters for significantly less time than your demonstrated work ethic and ability to think on your feet.

You’ll make the right decision, but it needs to be yours. I wish you all the best.

I wasn’t talking about admissions, I was talking about the actual rigor while in the program. Is CMDA worse or better than CS in terms of difficulty of surviving in the degree?

BTW, thank you. I still kinda don’t know my own decision, so I came to this forum.

Look for yourself at the classes

CMDA - https://www.registrar.vt.edu/content/dam/registrar_vt_edu/documents/Updates/cos/2021/cos_cmda_21.pdf

CS - https://www.registrar.vt.edu/content/dam/registrar_vt_edu/documents/Updates/coe/2021/coe_cs_21.pdf

As you can see CMDA has a lot less of the engineering core classes like chemistry, calculus, and physics but still has a good bit of CS you can take as electives. Many find those early engineering classes fairly difficult so I would say in that regard CS is a little harder freshman year but evens out later.