JMU Hospitality Management (Hart School)

Are there any current JMU Hospitality Management students or applicants out there? Opinions on the program at the Hart School? Would love more info please.

1 Like

My S in a current Hart School student. He’s really pleased with the program, however, with the pandemic, he hasn’t really been able to get the full experience. The professors are top notch and the resources for securing internships and jobs are pretty solid. However, of course with the pandemic, that has been a challenge. But overall pretty impressed with JMU Hospitality Management.

Thank you so much for the information. Is your son a freshman?

He’s a 3rd year student, but changed majors to Hospitality his sophomore year.

@dukespride - We just watched a virtual presentation and learned that HM students are required to have 1,000 hours of work experience in order to graduate. 500 hrs of work plus 100 hrs through an experiential course by the end of junior year and then 400 internship hours after junior year. This is more than other schools D is looking at. Does this present a challenge for students? Thanks.

I just checked with my son and the requirements are 600 hours of work- anything hospitality related from senior year of high school until the time you need to take HM 310 (typically taken 2nd semester of junior in the Hart School) is when all the 600 hours are due. Then 400 hours are done during the HM 402 class, which is actually an internship class, thereby totaling 1,000 hours of hospitality related work before you can take any of the 400 level classes.

My son has an internship lined up for this summer which is for the 402 course and will satisfy his 400 hour requirement. Hope this clarifies things for you. I know the hours seem overwhelming but, most students get campus jobs and are able to fulfill the hours with no problems. FWIW, my son really loves the Hart School and the professors!

Thank you so much for taking the time, checking on that and clarifying. Really helpful! So glad to know that your son is happy with the program at JMU. It seems very impressive but D has not been able to visit so it’s great to be able to get this additional info.

1 Like

So glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other questions about JMU; it’s a topnotch university and your daughter would love it there I’m sure. Hopefully you can visit the campus soon; it is probably one of the most beautiful campuses I’ve ever seen.

Good luck to your D on selecting the right school!

1 Like