Joining a Fraternity

<p>Just got back from Bama Bound yesterday. My parents fell in love with the campus, my brother met many friends at sibling orientation and my roommate and I visited several fraternities. We received bids to Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike), Alpha Kappa Lambda, Chi Phi and Phi Kappa Psi and also met up with the rush chair from Sig Ep. However, we decided to hold the bids because we aren’t sure if fraternity life is for us and is also an additional expense. We did like many of the guys we met and all of the the houses were beautiful. I was wondering if anyone could give us feedback/suggestions on any of these fraternities? This is a big decision for my roommate and me to make because we will be paying for it on our own. Also, my roommate and I must maintain atleast a 3.3 gpa for the honors college and have heard that a fraternity can be very demanding. Any insight on fraternity life would be great.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>It’s a big decision both in time commitment & cost. You are wise to be very mindful of your gpa.</p>

<p>S is in AKL. He loves it. His gpa did take a hit first semester, but not sure that was entirely due to pledging.</p>

<p>If you’d like to contact him to find more about AKL pm me & I’ll forward your email. He is at UA in Oxford so he may be hard to reach.</p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>of those mentioned houses the most popular (if thats what your looking for) is by far pi kappa alpha. as you know their new house is great and they have strong membership numbers, they are an up and coming house here. the other houses mentioned have much smaller numbers, but remember we have the best greek system in the country so its really hard to go wrong. in terms of GPA while pledging, every house has a lot of mandatory study hours. they give you more than enough time to finish all your work. if your GPA is not up to par its 100% not because of pledging</p>

<p>good luck</p>

<p>widdy91,
Please don’t think that I’m scolding you. That is not my intention.
Naming individual houses as, “this ones better or that one drinks alot or that’s a house of pansies, whatever” is considered tent talk and frowned upon. I’m certain that you had no ill-will but it’s unfair to throw names around based on your experience. Every incoming student interested in greek life should explore and decide from their point of view and experience.
If so compelled to speak of specific houses, it’s better to do so via pm.
Just an FYI, my husband is/was a Pike (different campus, different state) and he loved being a part of the greek community.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>