Journalism Major - Unsafe?

<p>I very much want to major in journalism. Writing is my passion and is something I would immensely enjoy doing for the rest of my life. However, especially recently, journalism has been on the decline, and I can't seem to find anyone that would consider it an adviseable major. </p>

<p>What are your thoughts, CC?</p>

<p>Nah bro, I think you’ll be fine…Im a hs senior, but i plan on double majoring in mass comm (advertising track) and journalism or maybe photography, but anyway “print journalism” is dying, but that just means that journalism is becoming more modern. Instead of a pencil and paper think laptop and keyboard, you get my drift? There will always be journalism because there will always be news to share, so don’t worry about journalism dying, the more technology and communication advances, the more journalism and news sharing will advance. And besides if you ever feel like your journalism career isn’t taking off, you could always do other things. For example, every business needs someone who can write and advertising agencies, public relation firms etc, all need someone with good writing abilities and a knack for getting information.</p>

<p>my mom is a sociology major making 60,000 grand a year and my step father makes 80,000 a year and he has a masters in sports medicine, don’t let people tell you that your major is useless, cause it’s really not. My father tells me that in the end it’s all about who you know, so major in journalism (im assuming your pretty outgoing), network, network, network and go to a bigger city if that’s optional lol. I live in Tampa ( like Americas fourth biggest media market), but my dream job is to work at MTV or Nintendo advertising/marketing departments lol (but thats in cali :frowning: lol)</p>

<p>Hmm. How difficult is a double major, really? It seems like that’s my best bet.</p>

<p>Unsafe at any speed.</p>

<p>Pretty much what Element said. Journalism isn’t dying, it’s transitioning. How could Journalism ever die? We need news.</p>

<p>I would say though, something that would make life after college a lot easier for you though, is maybe consider the option of majoring in a topic that interests you as an undergrad, than go to grad school for journalism so you can be a “______ journalist” and be more marketable.</p>

<p>Ehh… Honestly, unless you’re planning on doing advertising, PR or broadcast, I wouldn’t recommend it. </p>

<p>I’ve said this in many other threads, but I’m a recent J school grad and there’s absolutely nothing out there (job wise). If it’s something you’re extremely passionate about and pay doesn’t matter to you, then I say go for it. Otherwise, consider a double major or minor to fall back on.</p>

<p>Print journalism isn’t doing well at all. There are a few gems out there that are doing well, but even good reporters are having trouble finding work. Many people at my school moved to internet journalism (along with studying print journalism theory/technique).</p>

<p>As for internet journalism, anyone can start a blog or write for one now a days. If you’re REALLY good, you could probably get an internship at a newspaper and work their Web site. At my school, internet journalism only focused on graphic design/infographics and how to make a Web site. And honestly, anyone can find out how to make a site online (I knew how even before I took the classes).</p>

<p>It’s really up to you and how good your school is. My advice would be to take a lot of internships in the Summer or if they offer them for your local paper. Also work at your school paper (work your way up to Editor in Chief). Start out as a writer your 2nd semester freshman or sophomore year, then move up to Managing Editor and hopefully you can secure a spot as EIC your junior or senior year. The only people I know who’ve actually gotten jobs recently have been the EIC of my paper and they worked as an intern for the local papers too.</p>

<p>As far as advertising, it seems to be doing well. I briefly had a job in advertising when I graduated and I knew nothing about it! There are some really good advertising schools out there , if that’s what you’re thinking about.</p>

<p>Broadcast is touch and go. All the best Broadcast majors I know worked at the paper as writers and did internships every summer. If you’re good, you can probably find a job somewhere.</p>

<p>I don’t know anything about PR, but a good friend of mine majored in it. She made all A’s and did tons of internships. She couldn’t find a job for 6+ months. Eventually she found one in marketing. </p>

<p>Like I said, if you’re passionate about it, go for it. But the pay is MEH (even if you’re good and have a job) and it’s not worth it to me. I wish I had majored in something else. I worked at the paper for 2 years and was an editor the whole time, my experience and degree are pretty much worthless. </p>

<p>As a side note, I would HIGHLY recommend taking tech. and professional writing classes (maybe consider an English professional writing minor). Tech. writing (as well as medial, science, grant) experience is definitely to your advantage. If you can’t find a job as a reporter, you can always find one as a tech/medical/grant writer.</p>

<p>While it is true that media and journalism are evolving, it can also be said that media and journalism education isn’t matching the pace. I graduated with a bachelor’s in Journalism: news/editoral in 2008, and in the whole curriculum for my major they offered one, thats right, one class that had anything to do with online journalism. To be any kind of journalist nowadays, publications are looking for that person who can do the following: Track down their leads, write the story, take the pictures, post the story on a web publication, make an infographic relating to the story, familiar with flash, basic .html, and knowing how to use most everything in the adobe suite. With limited jobs comes more responsibilities for the ones that are lucky enough to have one. So even knowing a handful of the things that I’ve mentioned will be beneficial. </p>

<p>Internet and smut entertainment news have essentially ruined the print industry and now the only way to really get a foot in the door is to take an unpaid internship, or to build a portfolio by freelancing. Either way, you’re not going to make enough money to live on, and a second job will be necessary. Actually, journalism is the second job to my underpaying kitchen job. </p>

<p>The going rate for most freelance articles is around 40 bucks and that doesn’t go very far. Just tracking down your sources for the story could take four hours in itself. I guess the best advice for anyone wanting to be a journalist but isn’t sure about a journalism major is this: Screw the degree. If you can write you can write, and eventually the right people will recognize this. Get a degree in another field, it will be beneficial.</p>

<p>Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread.</p>

<p>I agree gliwat. I was going to make the mistake of majoring in Journalism. I know of one Journalism major who couldn’t get a job. Now she is a Spanish tutor.</p>

<p>You could major in something practical like accounting, but then add newspaper internships and write for the school newspaper. I’m not a journalism major, but I have written articles for my school’s paper, and I have my own blog.</p>