Jr. w/ A- stats + high rigor seeking non-elite options for growth/challenge

Thanks! Glad to have a few more to check out.

Not sure if this means Greek life is a positive or a negative but if considering Alabama this may be of interest.

1 Like

Not in your target geographical area, but my thought upon reading what you’re looking for was Clark (in MA). They’re especially well-known for psychology (note every visitor to campus posting photos with the statue of Freud - Clark is the only US college where he visited and spoke)
 and they’re also excellent for communications & film/tv - they have majors in both, and their screen studies major has a bigger production component than most, and tons of internship opportunities. They also have an accelerated 5-year bachelors/masters plan with a 50% tuition break for the 5th year, for students with a 3.4 or higher in undergrad. Clark is fairly generous with merit and could land within budget. No Greek life, friendly/supportive community. They’re a CTCL school, so I’d suggest reading their profile on that website, and looking at other CTCL schools as well: ctcl.org

2 Likes

Thank you! It sounds like a wonderful place. With two parents who are transplants from Michigan, however, I think snow is a no (with the exception of Flagstaff or maybe Colorado which are easy drives home to the sunshine). I can use the suggestions to find similar schools, though. :wink:

1 Like

Check out UofSC!! They have one of the best Honors colleges, great student life and Greek life. They also give out good merit scholarships to OOS students

2 Likes

We actually have an extended family member going to BAMA on a full ride next year, and I’d be comfortable in the honors program there if it was closer and not so isolated. D24 does not have the Bama type of Greek personality (I think “Greek” is different in some places) so I don’t think it would even be an issue for her at such a big school. Friends in the honors dorm and weekend football with club interests during the week is more her vibe, which is also said family member’s plan. I guess we will hear how it goes!

I.e. Greek on campus is okay as long as it isn’t the only option.

2 Likes

To add a little more context, D24 goes to a high school of 3000 plus kids w/4 HS in District and tons of private schools in the area. Socially, this feels small and clique-ish to her. So, schools under ~5000 kids where she’s in the upper quartile academically and socialization is mostly Greek life would not be a good fit. On the other extreme, ASU (a safety) could be a good fit but maybe only in the Honors College or a specialty program. Smaller, engaged classes & supportive mentors will be important beyond GenEd.

Academically, D24 is at the highest rigor level, which definitely stretches her. (Multiple classmates heading to ivies and elites each year). She would much rather risk a B in the toughest class to be around the challenge, and does not crack under the pressure like some of the students who feel the need for perfection at all costs. Boredom is her worst enemy and we hope she won’t under-match due to unweighted GPA. (Grade deflation is a thing in her program. Kids who get 5s on APs might get a C from the teacher. She is academically 1-2 years ahead of previously mentioned relative who graduated with straight As this year). This is partly why we are looking for holistic review, where I think she will shine. Thanks all!

Bama is certainly a great financial option and by all accounts on CC the honors program is a great experience. Good luck.

2 Likes

Smaller, engaged classes can be found EVERYWHERE. If you are a Classics major, you may have two large lectures- one an “ancient lit” class which is popular for all sorts of majors, and maybe the “Art and Architecture of the Ancient World” which is popular with engineers, history majors, all the fine arts people, etc.

But everything else will be seminars- and sometimes two professors for one small class! (A lot of the interdisciplinary stuff is taught this way).

I understand that anything on the CS/Pre-Med hit parade could be large or huge. But there are tons of things to study which even at the biggest universities ends up being small.

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard about the Netflix connection, although we have heard NM in general is a great film spot to be. Coming into the homestretch on junior year, I think tuition and IB scholarships will be pretty strong from UA and ASU (as well as generous credit awards). ASU’s new film building and semester in LA are also intriguing.

D24 is feeling like she needs to spread her wings a little, but am very thankful that we have such incredible automatic “safeties” here in AZ. NM could be a middle ground for sure.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.