Junior AP Chem - better to take P/F or W

Kiddo is a junior, 3.7 GPA, aiming for large state schools or private schools with higher acceptance rates. Not many honors classes, and average ECs. He is taking AP Chem this year and regular physics. Currently has As in all 8 classes except AP Chem. His sibling took ap chem last year and that teacher was amazing, but she left. New teacher is bad - he doesn’t explain anything, and expects them to learn it all themselves from AP classroom videos. When they ask questions, he says, you can learn that from the book or the videos and doesn’t explain. He is a soccer coach first, and not really qualified to teach the class. Kiddo is struggling. This is last week to make a change, but it will either be to drop it and take a W or to switch to pass/fail grading. I know they are both not super options, but definitely better than a D in the class. Which looks less bad on transcript?

It’s took late at your school to switch to a different science class? So if he withdraws, he would have no science for the year? What other science did he do Freshman/Sophomore and what would he do senior year? For example, did he already take regular Chem or could he later? I think some colleges would not appreciate a student who didn’t take at least some level of the three core HS sciences. But agree, a D would not be good. Given how early it is in the year, is there not still time to seek tutoring? Even with a bad start it seems like there would be time to recover to at least a B with better teaching outside of the class.

How Pass/Fail is calculated into GPA? W is not calculated…
Here is some thought… Many years ago in college I was in similar situation. I was taking not required class for my major that was prerequisite for grad school class. However, I could potentially get a C and significantly drop my GPA and kill grad school opportunity all together… I went to professor who suggest to drop class, stay in it unofficially and take final exam. If I would get C for exam, I would have prerequisite listed without grade as fulfilled by exam on my transcript (there was an option credit by examination). I had no option to convert to Pass/Fail. This is what I did and it was a success.
In case of your child staying in class Pass/Fail your child will be able to stay in class and take AP exam. I would consider that option. If he will get 4 or 5 on AP exam he potentially can get credit in college for that class.

Oh actually - sorry this is an elective. He’s taken biology, regular chemistry and is also taking Physics right now. He has a high A in physics so would still have a science this year.

interesting point thanks! He could still take the AP test with the pass/fail option. I am not actually worried about getting credit in college for the class taken though. I look at APs as more of an opportunity to show rigor in the application process.

I would withdraw. You’re not looking at selective colleges.

If he doesn’t need the class to graduate (credit amount), it’s not an issue.

If he does, it may be a summer or taking an extra elective instead of study hall next year.

But it’s a no win situation - and you already the three major sciences done.

3 Likes

Then if you really don’t see a major recovery go forward as likely with additional help, I’d drop it.

4 Likes

Agree…since he has a science this year, does not feel he can recover to get a decent grade with the current teacher, and is not looking at super selective schools the one withdrawal should not be an issue (a series of withdrawals would be a different story).

3 Likes

I agree he should just withdraw. Meanwhile, is there any way that you can give feedback to the school, that they have dropped the ball by assigning an unqualified teacher for AP Chem? Maybe they can switch him to a standard chem, and give a qualified teacher the AP Chem class?

If there is no option to switch to another teacher maybe W is better…If teacher does not know a subject and is pretty mutch a substitute it is a big problem…

Can he just switch to a regular Chem class instead

See OP’s comment upthread. The OP’s S has already completed regular chemistry.

Sorry. Guess I missed that. Since he’s currently in Physics and OP says he is not trying to get college credit, there is no need for AP chemistry. I would have him withdraw.

Since he has another science already he can withdraw without problem. It’ll free time up for him to do something productive or fun.

Assigning a non qualified teacher to a class as difficult and specialized as AP Chem is a problem so perhaps talk to PTA so they talk to s.o at the school (once he’s withdrawn.)

Is he actually getting a D? At my high school you had to get a C- or better to get a Pass. I would suggest just dropping the class and taking the W, but best to check with the guidance counselor.