Junior & worried about getting into Texas A&M as a review applicant?

I know that Texas A&M has around a 65% acceptance rate. But I heard that the review applicant acceptance rate is very low.
How low is it? Have any of you gotten in to A&M as a review applicant? If so, what were your stats?

I have a 3.95 weighted GPA and around a 3.6 unweighted. It will go down by .1 though. I didn’t work as hard as I should’ve this semester, so instead of getting mainly A’s, I will be getting a lot of high b’s if I work hard until school ends. Does every point you earn count towards your class rank? So would a high B be better than a low B when it comes to your class rank?

I’m currently in the top 35% of my class rank (I know, bad) at an extremely competitive school, but that will drop due to my slight screw-up this semester. I plan on getting a 1950+ on my second SAT. I have a few EC’s (NHS, one sem of XC, Student Council, volunteered at a library, a few minor clubs here and there.)

Is a 1950+ on the SAT high for a review applicant and will it significantly increase my chances of getting?

Thanks everyone :smiley:

(SOO sorry so many questions.)

Here’s some info about accepted students from the class of 2018 http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1676831-class-of-2018-offers-of-admission-breakdown.html#latest

Thank you! Oh gosh, I have a 16% chance of getting in as a full admission review applicant. I’m not exactly looking to get into Blinn or one of the A&M branches.

If you want to go to A&M, then apply. Do a very good job on the application, write great essays & submit. They take the highest score submitted & you can continue to take SAT/ACT until Nov. and just update your application on file if your score increases. I don’t want to discourage you, but knowing your chances might help you pick a good safety school and spend the time on perfecting your application. Use your summer wisely to fill in a gap in your application (work volunteer leadership hobby academics etc.) Good luck!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Dont lose hope. first i need to say that i am not hispanic or anything…i am white, so no ethnic advantage. I went to a competitive high school. Had a 3.9 weighted GPA, ranked 33%, and i was acppeted to A&M this past november for ENGINEERING. If you want to get in, you NEED to work on that SAT. I took the ACT and socred a 30, 34 on math. You need to worry about the combined math/reading, not the total SAT score. if you get a 1300 on SAT combined or a 30 ACT, you will have a mederately good chance. If you score above that, you’ll be in great shape. APPLY IN AUGUST. Do all essays in the summer. http://dars.tamu.edu/dars/files/9d/9d6377ed-4c85-4f35-be75-4ad1b96c2b97.pdf Go to this link, page 14. You will see the average SAT AND ACT score admits to each college based on class rank. Good luck.

You are actually admitted to the university, then to your major on a rolling basis if available. The only exception is the last 15% of engineering (the first 85% is rolling, not competitive) just those last few slots are filled by competitive review of all who declare engineering after they get to the 85% threshold, whether they are top 10%, academic admits or review admits and a decision is made normally in January for that last 15%.

Don’t worry about your major’s scores, all you need to do is be admitted to the university before your major fills. What major are you thinking about? Your chances of getting into the university are NOT affected by your choice of major. If your requested major is full, they will let you pick another that is open. Traditionally quick fill majors have been: Architecture, Business, Engineering & Psychology but it depends on the applicants each year.