Just Back from May 2014 NSC - TIPS!

<p>We are just back from the first NSC and I wanted to share a few tips and other information:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Initial registration is a breeze and moves quickly. We arrived at 8:00am and got through quickly.</p></li>
<li><p>Keep in mind, you will be walking A LOT!! It was quite hot and humid so dress comfortably. Folks are wearing shorts and T-Shirts.</p></li>
<li><p>Longest line was for the ID card. Don't even bother to try and get in line in the morning. They shut down the ID cards when the mandatory sessions starts and many folks waited a long time just to be told to come back later. My S slipped out of the last mandatory session a few minutes early and got his ID in a short period. When I say last session its the last mandatory session in the morning of the first day.</p></li>
<li><p>They ask you to go to a computer lab to activate your Login ID on day one. The lab is quite a walk and come to find out, you could do everything needed on your laptop via the Howdy portal. You are not actually activating your login, but granting access for your parents and setting up the maroon code notification. </p></li>
<li><p>Bring a laptop computer. You will want to look at classes before registration and its easier to sit at a table with your own laptop.</p></li>
<li><p>The days are long and you do have lots of information repeated several times. Just FYI.</p></li>
<li><p>Make sure your student looks at the class schedules before arriving. My S built several schedules before we even arrived. It is helpful and keeps him/her from scrambling before registration.</p></li>
<li><p>My S is in Engineering. You do not actually get to meet with an advisor one-on-one. They have student advisers that talk to all of them at the same time.</p></li>
<li><p>About AP credits!! My S has several AP credits and wants to use one math and one physics credit. He spent time taking the online common tests and is very comfortable with his decision. Keep in mind, you are allowed to use the credits, but they tote a standard recommendation of "don't use them". Also, they will not let you register for the next classes until you have the AP credit. For those going to NSC's before the AP scores are posted in July, you will NOT be able to register for the next level class without the credits. For instance, my S is going to use a credit for Math 151 and also one for Physics 218. He could not register for Math 152 or Physics 208 yet. He will have to work this out with his senior advisor after the AP scores are posted. For now, he just registered for Math 151 and Physics 218. By the way, the student advisers had no idea on this issue. My S had to call the Math department.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Those are the big things. </p>

<p>Thank you for the tips. This is very helpful!</p>

<p>We just returned, too. The myEdu account was great help. My S showed it to several students during the registration process and they used it too while registering. It takes about 2 seconds to set up the account and it gives you so much help. </p>

<p>Lots of classes are closed to particular NSCs or filled so that perfect schedule you build before registration will probably not work. Which is why the myEdu is so helpful.</p>

<p>My S had dual credits and since his college transcript was already processed he had no trouble registering for Math 251 but there was only on class left (8 am). There are only about 4 - 5 spots left in that class, now.</p>

<p>We just got back too. What @whciv01 said it spot on. Long days. Warm and humid with lots of walking. I’m glad we are not going in July! Most of the evening of the first day is optional so you can skip if you want to and get some rest, work on schedules, etc.</p>

<p>Registration opened at precisely 2:00:00. They were told new seat and/or sections would open then. That doesn’t give the student any time to plan since they don’t know what will be new to what they previously saw and had planned for.</p>

<p>Be prepared. If you are prepared with a few schedules you will be fine. My son was. As I said registration opened at 2:00:00 and he hit submit and had his classes at 2:00:59. So if you are prepared it will go very quickly. </p>

<p>The advisor did not get to him until after he registered. He had to sit and wait and let the advisor bless his schedule then he had to print it to turn it in. And you will get the party-line speech about not using AP credits for math.</p>

<p>As for check-in it does go quickly. We were in line a few minutes before they opened at 8:00. Checked in and headed to the student ID line. That line took about 10-15 minutes since we were pretty early. Later the line was hundreds of students and like was said above it will shut down and the kids standing there for so long will be turned away and told to come back. I can’t imagine being the next in line after a long wait and then told to come back!</p>

<p>In the same building as initial check-in is where you can get the Sports Pass. It was easy and there were only 2 kids there when we got there.</p>

<p>Engineering students are by far the largest group. At one presentation it was stated that approximately 25% of the university is engineering. I think the NSC engineering percentage was even higher. WOW!</p>

<p>I’m glad another college checklist item is now checked off!</p>

<p>@whciv01 or @kldat1 (or anyone else who may know) – Were engineering students able to have a parent in the room to assist with class scheduling, or were they on their own? And, is there some reason they cannot simply use their laptops to log in to Howdy and register for classes in that way, rather than building the schedule in a designated room on a university computer? Thanks for the rundown on your recent experiences. --very helpful.</p>

<p>@yakker - No parents were allowed with the engineering students. After lunch on the second day students and parents were split up. Kids went to one building and parents to another. We attended with a friend who is a business major. The business parents were allowed to be with their kids for a while but were removed about 30 minutes prior to registration.</p>

<p>My son said he saw 1 kid with a laptop during the process but didn’t think he used it for registration. I think they want the students to use the university computers so they have a little control. My son said the lab computers were fast, faster then they would be on wireless if you used your own. Everyone gets a computer and starts at the same time. No one has to wait for another person to finish before they can start.</p>

<p>They got to their registration room at least an hour early so they had time to login, look up schedules and availability and tweak anything they wanted to. The registration “channel” didn’t enable until 2:00.</p>

<p>Registration is done by the CRN (course registration number). My son new what classes he wanted and memorized the different CRN’s. When the 2:00 hit he just keyed them all in and hit enter. Done. </p>

<p>I second the recommendation for getting a MyEdu account. If nothing else, it helps your student understand how to build his/her schedule. My S is going to speak with his actual advisor this week to see how we he can use his AP credits when they come in. This was probably the only disappointing piece of the registration process for us. My S spent a great deal of time insuring he felt comfortable with moving to the next level of Math and Physics. He took all of the online common tests and really feels he could use these hours elsewhere. </p>

<p>My S did say that when they were waiting by their computers to start registering many of the students felt like this was the most nervous they’ve every been. It is the culmination of non only the NSC, but basically everything they have done in high school. Try to keep your kids calm. I could see a little of information overload taking place with our son.</p>

<p>Oh, one more update. Although my son spoke to the student advisers, he did NOT get to meet his actual advisor as she was out for the day. It was a group session advising and not a one-on-one. He is calling his actual advisor this week to workout his AP credits.</p>

<p>Quick question-a lot of people are recommending making schedules ahead of time but how do you know what classes you need? </p>

<p>You can look at the degree plans for TAMU online. It tells you what classes are needed. Just Google the degree plan you want at TAMU and it should show. The only change for Engineering is that they no long require Kinesiology. You can then look at the actual classed on both MyEdu and within the schedule section of the Howdy portal. The MyEdu classes do not show the available seats.</p>

<p>Here are the Engineering degree plans. Click on the degree.
<a href=“Degree Programs | Texas A&M University Engineering”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/degrees&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Wow thank you for the tips. </p>

<p>Can anyone who is a BIMS (Biomedical Sciences) major comment on his/her experience with class registration? In the letter, the BIMS advisers said that they will be scheduling for us. Does this mean that you did not have go through the “race” process that kldat1 explains?</p>

<p>My son was lucky enough to talk to his actual adviser. The adviser talked to so many students he didn’t make it to my son until after he registered. But he agreed with what my son did. The adviser had a folder that contained everything about the student. SAT/ACT scores and breakdowns, Preferred major, AP test scores, AP classes waiting on scores, Math Placement Exam scores, high school classes and grades and some other stuff my son didn’t know.</p>

<p>These are the ones I just shared (edited) with some friends who are going down this coming week:</p>

<p>A few observations and suggestions for the NSC:
• Arrive the day before, for the Pre-Conference Day (PCD)!
• Arrive early (they open at 8a) and get your ID at the General Services Complex (GSC), second floor.
• At the GSC you may also open a Wells Fargo account.
• At the GSC you may also turn in your final high school transcript (if you have it) and make sure it’s in a sealed envelope).
• Purchase the Summer Weekly Permit ($12) and park in the West Campus Garage (WCG).
• You can purchase “Class of 2018” and family shirts at registration for about $15. They sell the shirts at various locations throughout the NSC. Only our son ought a shirt. His mother and I bought A&M Engineering shirts for $10 on the final day over at Zachary when the parents are over there for their meetings while the students are meeting with their advisors and picking their classes.
• Best way to access the WCG is from the north or south entrances on Wellborn Rd.
• The PCD is the best way to get your ID early and avoid the long lines of Day 1, get registered early (avoiding those lines also), and to allow you time to visit, as needed, the Registrar, Scholarships and Financial Aid, Disability Services, etc., and any other offices with whom you or your student may have questions of, or with whom you may wish to speak.
• Enjoy lunch or dinner at Layne’s, a College Station and A&M institution!
• While they will have residence hall tours, you will not be able to visit or enter Mosher Hall (if you’re doing the Engineering LLC) as it’s undergoing renovations. But, you can enter the front lobby area where you may rent a P.O. Box for the year (<a href=“http://www.tamucms.com/Mailbox-Rental.aspx”>http://www.tamucms.com/Mailbox-Rental.aspx&lt;/a&gt;) if you’re living on the Southside of campus (Northside mail boxes may also be rented).
• We did not go to the PCD Evening Social.
• For the 1st day, assuming you took care of everything else the day prior (PCD), the first meeting to attend is the From Backpack to Briefcase. While not mandatory, it was informative and helpful.
• For the meetings in Rudder Auditorium, avoid sitting too close to the front along the side walls. While those seats are great for getting in and out, they’re terrible for acoustics and it was very difficult to hear (or understand) what some of the speakers were saying). Best to sit toward the middle front.
• You’ll experience no sound issues in the Rudder Theater or elsewhere. Just sit wherever you want.
• We paid ($10/ticket) at registration for the Howdy Lunch on Day 1 which is held over at the Duncan Dining Hall. Nothing to write home about (hey, it’s college food), but whether you eat there or somewhere else, the resource tables at Duncan (that are open during lunch and afterwards until 1:45p) are worth perusing and gathering information!
• Day 1 is a whirlwind of information and “information overload!” So much to learn, remember, and so many web addresses, hashtags and “follow up on Twitters,” it’ll make your head swim.<br>
• BUT, no matter how tired you guys are, be sure to stay for the last event, Being an Aggie & Yell Practice! That was a lot of fun, the Yell Leaders where funny and informative, and the War Hymn really capped off the day. On the way back to the hotel our son said the day really made him feel excited about going to A&M!
• On Day 2 we went directly to our son’s Meeting & Academic Advising location. We arrived about 30 minutes prior to its start time to make sure we weren’t late, etc. The night before, we all spent the better part of the evening going over numerous scheduling options, having researched ratemyprofessor and myedu, as well as TAMU’s professor grade and GPA distribution. (<a href=“http://registrar.tamu.edu/facultystaff/report/default.aspx”>http://registrar.tamu.edu/facultystaff/report/default.aspx&lt;/a&gt;).<br>
• You’ll want to make sure you’ve looked at all the courses that are available and an option for your student, and have numerous contingency schedules “just in case.” And know each course’s CRNs!! That’s what they’ll enter when they register.
• Our son was done registering in about 30 or so minutes. He got all the courses he wanted, with a few of the professors he wanted (most professors were still TBA). He says it was very, very stressful as everyone was awaiting the opening of classes and not knowing what they’d get, etc. So be prepared!
• Also!</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>FYI, the link above referring to the degree plans may not be updated for all disciplines. The current catalog is now 137, but when I checked the PETe link it only showed 136 (still showing KIN 198 and 199). My S started last year in PETe under catalog 136, but is moving to catalog 137 (they are given the choice).</p>

<p>One very recent change for Engineering that may not be in the website schedules:<br>
* KINE 198 & 199 are no longer required for the degree</p>

<p>Which is nice since they are so difficult to get for Freshman.</p>

<p>Ooops…I see someone else already posted this. :)</p>

<p>About AP credits. My kid used both her Calculus credits to skip the first 2 semesters of Calculus (151 &152?) I was worried about it, but she sailed through the third calculus class as a freshman (Diff EQ?, sorry I’m fuzzy on the math curriculum). She is a really bright student and hard worker, for what it’s worth.</p>

<p>For those of you who went last week and are in Engineering, what did they specifically tell you about not being able to use AP credits yet? Did they say the student can contact the advisor (say by email) as soon as the scores are posted in July and then get put into a section of say Math 152 by the advisor at that time or would they have to wait until add/drop in August? Were there absolutely no exceptions to the rule of “anticipating a 4 or 5” and so going ahead and registering for a higher class?</p>

<p>Also, did someone say that if a student has dual credit and TAMU already has the transcript, they can opt out of those classes now?</p>

<p>Grove1987 - They told my son that he would need to contact his academic advisor when the scores are posted. The advisers at the NSC are student advisers with minimal knowledge. You will get a folder the morning of the last day that has your students information including their advisor’s name and phone number. My son’s advisor was not on campus that day. My son tried to register for Math 152 and Physics 208 but the system wouldn’t allow it until they have taken their AP credits. He called the math department and they confirmed that they no longer allow students to register for classes without the actual AP scores on file… no anticipating a score. </p>

<p>Keep in mind, they act like they really don’t want Engineering students to use Math or Physics AP credits. Technically you can, but they recommend that you do not. Also, they use the math placement scores to determine which math they are allowed to register. Even if you have a high AP score, you must also have a very high math placement score.</p>

<p>@grove1987‌ My S in Engineering was able to skip Math 151 & Math 152 with dual credits. His college transcripts had been processed before the NSC and the system let him register. </p>

<p>The Math Placement Score is also used to determine which science the student starts in. If the score is below the threshold (which I can’t remember) they have you start in chemistry before physics. Actually they suggest it but do not require it as far as I know. </p>

<p>The student’s registration packet on the second day has 3 schedules printed on it and a recommended one based upon your Math Placement Score. The math and science classes will be different.</p>