Just how hard..

<p>is it to get into U Miami? I like the school alot and it's in my top 5 choices for college, but just how hard is it to get in? Do you need a gpa of mostly A's, or can a B/C student get in no problem?</p>

<p>Its getting tougher and tougher every year to get in...if you're a B/C student with average stats you may want to go to a 4 year school for one year, pull off a 3.5 gpa and try to transfer, like I did</p>

<p>I'm not a B/C student, definitely an A/B student, so would it be difficult for me to get in assuming I have an average SAT score?</p>

<p>I don't think that it would be that hard to get in. I got in!
I'm a mostly "A" student
Took college courses throughout highschool with a 4.0 college gpa (over 30 credit hours including organic chem etc.)
SAT was 580, 680, 740
the low score was for math</p>

<p>I got in with 38K a year in scholarships and grants!</p>

<p>Just make sure you put plenty of time into your essay, write it and then let it sit and come back to it a couple of weeks later (if possible) </p>

<p>Hope this helps</p>

<p>These days it's not all about the grades, although you do have to have decent stats. A/B is totally alright. I'd say do a lot of EC's, write a fantastic essay, and highlight on something that differentiates you from others. I think that's what got me in. UM is not that hard but who knows? It might be a lot tougher for seniors '07 since the school is rising and rising. Goodluck though :)</p>

<p>Actually the selectivity of UM is on par with George Washington according to U.S. News. </p>

<p>The school has been a lot tougher in recent years and it may not be as easy as most expect.</p>

<p>As the school rises it will become increasingly more difficult to not only get in but to make the grade while you are there.</p>

<p>Be aware it is not just the clubs of south beach, sun and football at UM anymore.</p>

<p>Dunkaroo - do you go to UM? If so tell me about their business program. I have narrowed my choices down to two schools UM and U of Illinois. Any insite would be great (from any one at Miami).</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Well the business program is very well regarded in the southeast and nationally. As money continues to be poured into the university the business program will continue to benefit.</p>

<p>Professors all have tons of experience within the business world. Facilities are top notch and the strength of Miami's business program within the region has been well recognized by employers.</p>

<p>Firms such as Citigroup, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley and a few other banks come to recruit business students.</p>

<p>If you want to work in Florida you are all set as Miami's reputation is fantastic.</p>

<p>UM offers the total experience. Academically it is a very good school and will continue to rise into the Top 50 nationally. The business program is well respected and has many recruiters from all over the country (not just the southeast). Additionally, other majors such as music and the sciences are top notch. The weather is unbeatable, the campus is beautiful, location is great (not directly in the city so its safe but close enough to enjoy all the action) and amazing athletic teams and girls.</p>

<p>Selectivity is now very high and higher than schools such as Syracuse, Boston University, UMD College Park and tied with GW.</p>

<p>With a huge endowment and financial resources look for Miami to continue its climb in U.S. News rankings this coming year.</p>

<p>Anyone have any info on the education dept? Is it a highly regarded program?</p>

<p>don't study education in FL, not a good idea</p>

<p>Tried editing and lost my whole message :-(</p>

<p>To sum up what I wrote before, I'm not exactly sure of the education departments rank (I know that's what you want), but it is something like sixth or seventh in the nation in terms of selectivity as reported by U.S. News. Not sure if that's grad or undergrad though.</p>

<p>P.S. I think the U.S. news ranking scheme is silly because it's not truely quantitative or an unbiased indicator so take the above with a grain of salt IMO.</p>