Just smile and nod...smile and nod

<p>

</p>

<p>I just tried that pronounciation. It’s hard to do.</p>

<p>Ore uh gun</p>

<p>I like La Jolla, which is not Jolla but Hoya, but people on the news in Warshington don’t know that :D</p>

<p>The woman who led the information session at Amherst told us first-off how to pronounce it correctly. Now people look at me funny when I say it without the “h.” It IS kind of hard!</p>

<p>I really liked Susquehanna University, but I’m relieved S isn’t going there, because nobody says it right! It ends like the name “Hannah.”</p>

<p>“Warshington” is what older natives of Washington, D.C. say.</p>

<p>

And here in central Ohio, it’s “Nerk, Ohio” to the natives.</p>

<p>I was glad that S decided not to apply to Wooster or Swarthmore, both of which I have difficulty pronouncing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Gosh that takes me back. I grew up in southeastern Ohio, very near to a town “Chauncey”. </p>

<p>How do you think you say that? </p>

<p>Chancey. As in you take your chances. When my family moved nearby they knew we weren’t from around those parts.</p>

<p>And I join the sentiment re: Swarthmore. I still don’t know how to prounounce it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Thank you, Hunt. I’m 8th generation and have been having an identity crisis all day wondering if everyone in my family got it wrong.</p>

<p>In the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio, Wilson Mills Road becomes Monticello Boulevard - pronounced Mon-ti-sell-oh. There’s a Monticello Middle School, too. Same pronunciation - a way to tell the natives from the visitors. It took us a few years to get used to it. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s not SWATH-more. Put the ‘r’ in. :)</p>

<p>For another tough one, here’s the town my stepmother lives in: Havre de Grace, MD.</p>

<p>My brother lives in Versailles, KY, pronounced Ver-SALES.</p>

<p>All Philadelphia area schools need to be excluded because you have to deal with the Schuylkill! (Skoo-kill)</p>

<p>I grew up in central Jersey saying New-erk, but native Newarkers say “Noork”.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I know this one. ;)</p>

<p>Worchester, MA</p>

<p>:rolleyes:</p>

<p>WAS tah, MA</p>

<p>I thought it was Wus stah, Mass </p>

<p>and how about Concord, up north it’s Kahn curd, </p>

<p>down here in NC it’s Con cord</p>

<p>In lower Manhattan the big street is called Houston, pronounced HOW ston, not like that city in Texas. Also, across the river in Jersey we have Bogota, pronounced buh GO ta, not like the Colombian city. A college friend of mine, fluent in many languages, thought I was joking when I told her of those pronunciations. :)</p>

<p>There is a small town in PA near where my grandparents lived, Tivoli. I always wondered why people looked at me funny when I talked about it, until someone pronounced it correctly for me, Tie-vo-lee. </p>

<p>And old-timers in Miami, FL pronounce it, My-am-muh.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I still have vestiges of an East Coast accent. I say or-eh-gon, with the first syllable rhyming with “car.” I also say oranges and Florida the same way – first syllable rhyming with car.</p>

<p>And I did grow up saying “Swathmore” (no r). Even though Philly accents aren’t non-rhotic.</p>