Just smile and nod...smile and nod

<p>Great thread - so many smiles!
My daughter, who went to an all girls high school, looked at several womens colleges. She really loved the atmosphere at most of them. She endured a year of my MIL complaining that she’d never meet a man. She came very close to deciding to go to Agnes Scott for their 3/2 engineering program with Georgia Tech. We loved Agnes Scott (and Bryn Mawr and Mount Holyoke and Smith) but in the end she decided on Lafayette. MIL’s reaction was “She should go to Lehigh, isn’t it better!” Smile and Nod is my new motto.</p>

<p>Yesterday, at my “Senior Appreciation Day” track meet, my coach tried to announce where each senior was going. When he got to me, he said “uhh…Carson…no, Clarkson…uhh…next!!” Smile and nod, smile and nod.</p>

<p>(I’m going to Carleton. I was wearing my sweatshirt that says CARLETON on the front. A mom afterwards asked me why I wanted to go to Nevada. True story.)</p>

<p>On a side notw…am I the only one who gets just a tad annoyed when people mispronounce “Swarthmore?” My dad grew up there with a lot of 4th and 5th-gen Swarthmorians (when he lived there, it was an old Quaker town, and a lot of the families never left). It’s SwaRRRRthmore. Not Swathmore. Just a minor pet peeve…smile and nod.</p>

<p>Quote:
“new college of florida”</p>

<p>Seriously… could they NOT think of a better name? We laughed when we got their advertisements in the mail. Do they offer a marketing degree? Maybe someone there could help. </p>

<p>They were probably hoping a very generous donor would come along that they could rename it after. "</p>

<p>They should have named it “Your Name Here College” until somebody came up with a big donation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Former Philadelphian here who grew up saying Swaaathmore!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The New School in NY has been “new” for nearly a century.</p>

<p>I didn’t mean to offend anyone; I know there are a ton of people who say it. I guess it just kind of irks me a tiny bit (it irks my dad and grandmother too, so that’s probably where it came from), I’m not sure why. :D</p>

<p>(Edit: in response to Pizzagirl)</p>

<p>Not offended - just amused! The real question is, what do the train conductors on the Main Line say?</p>

<p>Didn’t Eugene Lang fit the bill or our they looking for bigger bucks?</p>

<p>My dad is from Brooklyn. There is NO WAY he could say Swarthmore correctly. Good thing my D is not going there!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>PG, Swarthmore isn’t on the Main Line - it’s in Delaware County. You get there on the R3, not the R5 where the Main Line conductors are. These distinctions must be maintained! ;)</p>

<p>In our house this year the final college choice came down between West Point and Notre Dame with an ROTC military scholarship. You would not believe how many people said to my daughter (1) You are smart, cant you go anyplace better (than West Point)
(2) Why are you going to Notre Dame, thought you wanted to go into the military?
(3) If you go to West Point, will you get a college degree?
(4) they let girls go there?</p>

<p>Pretty funny times!!!</p>

<p>QM inspired me, I had a similar response to bryn mawr…so I thought I would share!</p>

<p>Teacher: so awkwardsquirrel where did you decide to go to college?
Awkwardsquirrel: oh, Sarah Lawrence college…
Teacher: *blank stare
awkwardsquirrel: …it’s in new york
teacher: OHHhhhh!! Isn’t that a lesbian school!!
Awkwardsquirrel: no, you must be thinking of smith (hearts to smith)
teacher:…didn’t you apply there too??!
Awkwardsquirrel: yes
teacher: soooo…you’re lesbian??
Awkwardquirrel: I was rejected at smith…remember?</p>

<p>Note* I love smith, so no hard feelings</p>

<p>@cptofthehouse: Eugene Lang is the name of the undergraduate college of the New School – like Harpur (which no one much uses anymore) is the undergraduate college of Binghamton University.</p>

<h1>623-</h1>

<p>Swarthmorians? Isnt it “swatties”?
At Vassar, the students were Vassarites (IIRC). The yearbook was the Vassarion</p>

<p>“Smile and Nod is my new motto.”</p>

<p>And a Bobblehead Doll is our new mascot.</p>

<p>this whole thread is hysterical! people say the darndest things</p>

<p>We need a CC Bobblehead!!! We can put it in our cars while we ponder the implications of college decals.</p>

<p>jym626 - very true - for whatever reason, my grandmother uses “Swatties” generally to refer to the students of the college, but “Swarthmorians” to refer to the life-long residents of the town (these were families that had been there for five or six generations (!)). I have no idea how correct this terminology is, I just happened to type it without thinking.</p>

<p>Anyway…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What would I know. I didn’t live on that hoity-toity Main Line! :-)</p>

<p>I asked how to pronounce the school name on Swarthmore’s site, and it seems that BOTH pronounciations are used!</p>