Kenyon College vs UMass vs Connecticut College for Math, Physics & Philosophy

UChicago accepted 145/1065 transfers for Fall 2021 admissions; it is highly competitive and not something you should count on in any way.

2 Likes

Got off waitlist for U of C

2 Likes

I just finished my Kenyon visit and I talked to several people who got into UChi and Kenyon, and honestly Kenyon just seems like the place for me.

9 Likes

You’re going to turn down University of Chicago? In my experience, the smartest people I know went to U of C. Not Harvard, not Yale, not MIT, not Stanford, but U of C.

4 Likes

There are plenty of smart students at Kenyon, too. I have a (high-stats) daughter there as a junior, and she’s surrounded by a lot of strong students. Academics are quite rigorous at Kenyon (I’m a college professor, so I have an idea). I know that U Chicago is a great school, and very prestigious, but it doesn’t mean it’s for everyone. (My daughter, for v example, decided not to apply, because she really wanted a LAC experience). Just my two cents.

5 Likes

On a different note, I see that our dogs look alike :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree that you should strongly consider UChicago; it’s on a different level from your other choices in terms of opportunities, peer group, resources, and networking.

2 Likes

Kenyon and UChicago are vastly different. If you see yourself thriving at Kenyon it is unlikely that you would enjoy UChicago, so don’t let anyone prestige-shame you into questioning yourself.

Kenyon is a special college. It’s beautiful, and the students we met were the most engaging, impressive, and grounded of any college we had been, including Ivies.

Congratulations on a wonderful decision!

6 Likes

But make sure that Kenyon’s math offerings are enough for you, given how advanced you are in math already.

8 Likes

There are actually a couple of math majors at Kenyon that got into UChi and Kenyon and chose Kenyon. I talked to them about it and their reasoning was wanting the full attention of professors who won’t be focusing on grad students at the time and also cost lol. Kenyon is giving me a lot more money than UChi, but I’d love to go to grad school there!

1 Like

I do admit, I keep going back and forth on it and I’ve disputed my finaid offer but they still haven’t gotten back to me, and I’ve only got a few days to decide where to commit it’s pretty stressful lol

1 Like

Thank you so much!!!

I didn’t get the chance to talk to math professors at Kenyon but I did at Conn College, and they told me if I go to Kenyon and run out of classes or whatnot for maths, I should do the Budapest Semester in Mathematics, which is an amazing opportunity. There’s also Moskau Math, but I’d wait until international tensions are lower if I applied to that. There are also a few exchange programs, and I’d be able to work personally with a professor on what I want to study. I did speak to one of the people who works at Kenyon and they mentioned that if I become advanced enough in my courses I could be personally taught in a 1 on 1 environment with a professor in any math field that that professor is comfortable teaching (ie a algebraic geometer is not going to be teaching grad-level analysis or category theory).

Also, just as another note, one major reason I am concerned with going to UChi is because of the environment; not the fact that it is in Chicago or anything like that, but the fact that it is a city in general. I come from a very rural area and everything goes really slowly here. I think I need to work my way up before going to a big city, like time for personal development and all that.

I was in Cleveland recently, for some research opportunities, and while there it was overwhelming, and I worry that adjusting to city life would be too much of a shock for me atm.

My goal, however, is to eventually go to grad school in a big city (UCLA, Harvard, MIT, UChi, but a general leaning towards Boston because it’s my favorite city (that I’ve never been to lol)).

2 Likes

This sounds like a good plan. My daughter is doing her semester abroad now in a European capital and is getting her city life experience there. It’s been very good for her. Kenyon has a strong record of placing their students in top graduate programs (I know that from my field, which is in the humanities, but I believe it holds for math and sciences as well).

1 Like

Politics in Hungary have significant anti-foreigner sentiment as well as anti-LGBT sentiment that can make a Budapest semester unattractive from a quality of life standpoint to students who may be in one of the groups targeted for hostility. So be careful of having to need to study abroad there.

3 Likes

Okay – you need to evaluate these schools academically and culturally/environmentally according to your interests.

Academically: Since you want to double-major and minor in a third discipline – or, I’m assuming, at least take multiple courses in that third subject – I would use course catalogs to plan out four years of courses that would adequately slake your thirst for these three subjects. Keep distribution requirements in mind. This may seem arduous, but when you want to double-major (if not also add a minor…), you need to make reasonably sure it is feasible.

Environment/Setting: Visit them. Which campus and surrounding area speaks to you most? Vibe?

Then choose the one with the best combination of academic and environment/vibe fit.

Assuming all are affordable of course…

1 Like

I’ve planned out all the classes I’d take within the 4 years at each of the potential schools, made sure all the reqs were met and all that (ofc I am aware that classes may not be offered at certain times but it’s just a ballpark plan atm).

1 Like

Interesting. I did think about that consideration, but it was more a passing thought than anything else. I am a member of the LGBT+ so I will definitely keep what you are saying in mind.

I strongly advise you to contact Kenyon’s math department to clarify their offerings. I know of an advanced math student who transferred from Williams to UChicago in large part because they realized that they were running out of advanced classes at Williams and would be able to take grad-level classes as an undergrad at Chicago.

3 Likes