Kenyon vs Holy Cross, Lafayette, or Fordham?

I’m a current high school senior and struggling to make a decision. I really like Kenyon but should I go to Kenyon, or a more recognized school like Holy Cross, Lafayette, or Fordham? I could play division 3 football at Kenyon, but am not super sold about playing college football despite Kenyon being my favorite campus. I’m concerned that Kenyon isn’t well known enough, and that attending a patriot league school looks better for future employers. Any suggestions?

I’m going to say the same thing I’ve said numerous times the last few days.

You need to love where you go to college for four years. If you love Kenyon, then go to Kenyon…if you get accepted. If you are applying regular decision, you can apply to all of these colleges and make your mind up by May 1.

6 Likes

The same people who have never heard of Kenyon, haven’t heard of Lafayette or Holy Cross either.

28 Likes

Follow your heart. Sounds like it belongs to Kenyon. Same with football. If you aren’t 100% in, don’t do it. College athletics is a whole new level of commitment.

6 Likes

There are about 20 to 22 highly selective universities in this country that can open a small number of doors for a select number of career paths that other universities can’t open.

However, of the other universities you mentioned, not a single one of them can open a single door that can Kenyon can’t open for you.

11 Likes

The three other schools you named do not have better reputations than Kenyon. They are none of them names that would open castle doors for you.

3 Likes

Never mind - ops

2 Likes

My D went to Lafayette and my S went to Fordham. Both had great college experiences. That said, if you love Kenyon (which is another wonderful school) you should go there. The people who matter (ex. potential employers, grad school admissions officers) will know Kenyon.

3 Likes

Go to the school you love the most that fits what you want in a school. Your success is not dependent on the name of your school. It will be based on what YOU DO. Not that it really matters, but the other schools you named are NOT more well known than Kenyon. How well known the school is will not be the key to your future. You are.

Also, we’re talking four years of your life. Which environment and programs, etc. do you like the best. Go there.

4 Likes

I’m going to say that this does matter because it pertains directly to the premise of the original post. Establishing an honest consensus that Kenyon is at least as highly regarded nationally as these other schools may help the OP with his decision.

6 Likes

My opinion is that Kenyon is more well known nationally than the others. I’d choose Kenyon, but I think that’s because I’d prefer the small classes, the location and the creativity it offers.

This thread might interest you: Carleton vs. Amherst vs. Kenyon

4 Likes

My son goes to Fordham, but prior to 2 years ago we had never heard of it! I heard of Holy Cross and Lafayette only within the last year. But I have known (and respected) Kenyon for decades. If you love Kenyon, choose it with confidence!

8 Likes

You will be somewhere four years, day after day after day. If you like Kenyon, then it’s for you.

Take football out of it since you’re unsure.

Where would you rather be?

All the schools you mention will put out successes. What do you like about Kenyon? I mean, it’s rural, Fordahm is urban…the others in between.

What are you seeking?

There are all fine names - but different in environment.

Follow your heart - in this case, it’s right.

Good luck.

1 Like

I appreciate all of these great responses. Coming from New England, where college reputations often revolve around regional familiarity, I can see why Kenyon might not be as widely recognized here. I’m still undecided about pursuing football, and I’m unsure about attending Kenyon without participating in sports, as I don’t entirely align with the ‘typical’ student profile there, even though it’s my favorite campus.

2 Likes

Only you can decide if you want to commit the time and energy needed to play football at the college level. I agree that the decision could have an important impact on what college you may choose.

1 Like

I do think the other colleges the OP is considering would also provide small classes, but agree the environments differ.

1 Like

I am also from the East Coast. To me, Kenyon is very well known, especially for writing. For me, Kenyon is more well-known than the others.

5 Likes

Would you play football at all of these schools? If so, the others are D1 and that’s going to be a very different experience.

Holy Cross is urban as it is right in Worcester.

IMO, Holy Cross and Fordham are more ‘known’ in other areas of the country (and I’ve lived in 8 states from coast to coast and in between too). I’d actually been to HC for football games as a child so I always knew it. Fordham is part of a lot of old football movies, playing Army and Notre Dame. I also think HC has gotten a little more ‘press’ in recent years since Fauci and Clarence Thomas are alums. If you live in Ohio, more people will know Kenyon.

1 Like

Kenyon is a good school. You should go to the place you like the most. Your concerns aren’t really warranted.

2 Likes

Campus culture is more important than an attractive campus.

OP: Since you feel uncomfortable with “the typical student profile” at Kenyon, it may not be the best fit for you. What do you think is “the typical student profile” at Kenyon ?

What do you want to study ?

1 Like