L&C bubble

<p>To my understanding Lewis and Clark has fantastic international programs and is located in the more or less heaven of Portland, but I've also heard that the student population is cliquey and isolated. I've even heard people go as far as to compare it to high school. Is that what it's really like there?</p>

<p>Not from my D’s perspective. She has friends who are international, local and OOS. Part of the reason is she is involved in different kinds of clubs (math, renaissance fencing, anime). I have heard the athletes do hang out together but I think that occurs at all colleges.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman at L&C, so I can only speak from a few month’s experience. She goes to downtown Portland regularly, and has been on a few of the college outdoor trips and a retreat with a club that she belongs to. Her experience is not one of isolation, and she’s quite happy at the school.</p>

<p>She specifically chose a small, residential college because she wanted a feeling of community. I would imagine by senior year some of these young adults feel that the school is “too small”, but by then they’re about ready to graduate and move on. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>A perceived “bubble” is pretty common at LACS. But, as KareninCA said, a big part of the reason to go to a small school is for the community. I suppose the negative edge is that after 2 or 3 years the community might start to stifle a bit. Both of my older kids are at LACs, both love them and are having great experiences, but do complain a bit about feeling like they are living in a bubble, or words to that effect. I visited L&C with older son and know a few alums, my sense is that the bubble is no worse at L&C than at most other LACs.</p>