L & S Foreign Language Requirement

<p>I'm probably going to go for a BA meaning I need a fourth level language.
I'm in Spanish 5 so I hope this doesn't take forever to fill.
What class would this be? Would the AP exam credit of Spanish 203 fulfill this because this, in retroactive credit would be 12 credits (plus the class credit?).</p>

<p>Four years of HS foreign language fulfill both the BS and BA degree requirements (3 of one plus 2 of another- years or college semesters- also work). No test needed. Next summer the only reason to take a foreign language placement test before SOAR is if you choose to continue in the language. You do not get any college credit for your HS years unless you complete a semester of that language, the level and therefore retroactive credits to be determined by which level you place into. </p>

<p>Good news- you won’t need to take any foreign language at UW unless it is specifically for your major. No need to take the foreign language placement test either unless you choose to continue. The AP exam will not change anything.</p>

<p>Really? Well then that’s fantastic. I really do not like Spanish at all.</p>

<p>Current parent, just chiming in to confirm wis75 is correct – taking 4 years of high school language fulfills the L&S BA foreign language requirement. There are some programs which require more – certificate in European Studies requires through 4th semester college level coursework in a foreign language, and certificate in Global Studies requires through 5th semester college level coursework. </p>

<p>Personally, as a parent who is aware than 18 year old’s plans do change, I think taking the placement test is worthwhile just in case a reason comes up later. But if you really don’t like Spanish . . . .</p>