L&S Honors Program vs. Honors in the Major?

<p>Hello Everyone,</p>

<p>I am going to be a Freshman at UW next year and I was wondering if a general L&S Honors degree or a degree specific Honors degree is considered more impressive or if they're equally respected. I understand that I could do both but I might want to double major so I probably wouldn't have the time. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I am a parent of a UW freshman in L&S Honors.</p>

<p>As a parent, my first thought to a senior is – it is time to stop worrying about how something will be perceived and whether it will get you where you want to go, and time to think about your education as an opportunity for growth and discovery. But I understand it is relevant to consider the impact of possible choices. </p>

<p>We haven’t been around UW long enough to have a view whether L&S Honors or Honors in the major is more “prestigious” and I doubt there would be strong views one way or the other (though I could be surprised and educated on that, I am sure). The two types of Honors reflect different strengths and commitments on the part of an individual student, so that is how I would recommend approaching the question.</p>

<p>L&S Honors reflects a breadth of intellectual commitment; I believe it is 6 Honors credits in the Sciences and 24 Honors credits overall, with at least 15 coming from straight Honors courses rather than Honors optional courses. My son has received both Honors optional credit in fall semester by undertaking additional work in one class, and is now in an Honors section of a 300 level lecture course, with the Honors discussion section taught by the prof rather than a TA. The Honors section this semester is tough – much more work than the “regular” section, with substantially more writing (and hence opportunity for growth etc). So, from his early experience, graduating with L&S Honors reflects commitment to intellectual challenge over all 4 years, across a range of disciplines.</p>

<p>Honors in the major reflects depth in a particular field. If you are interested in grad school in an academic subject (not professional school), then I would imagine that level of commitment and accomplishment would be important.</p>

<p>As a parent, my view is that neither is “more respected” – they are both demanding programs of study that require intellectual commitment and engagement. As I have said many times in this forum, I applaud UW’s L&S Honors program because all admitted students are invited to apply – the program is not something separate for the “best and the brightest” but a commitment to intellectual engagement for its own sake. I guess that is why I struggle with the question of comparing prestige. </p>

<p>Good luck as you embark on this next stage.</p>

<p>You need to be in the Honors Program to get any sort of Honors on your diploma- comprehensive or in the major or whatever other designations are possible currently. Read the L&S website for more info. You can start with Honors courses that appeal to you, in subjects you do well in. Honors in the major means you met those requirements, a comprehensive Honors degree means you also met other, breadth, Honors, requirements. You don’t need to worry about this at all at this point. If you are in the Honors Program as an entering freshman your SOAR advisor will be for that and you can discuss which honors courses to take first semester. Once you are on campus you will have access to a lot more info and will make decisions based on your experiences and needs at the time. </p>

<p>Honors is something you do for yourself. You take the classes to get more out of your education. You choose to do the Honors thesis or take grad level courses when the time comes if that is beneficial to your knowledge base. It may help for medical or grad school admissions but that isn’t the reason to do it. No one cares what’s on your diploma years later, just as your HS record and activities are ancient history once you’re in college. Some of my friends and I did the Honors thesis, others did not and we still got the post BA/BS grad degrees.</p>

<p>Let me just qualify the above-- according to L&S Honors site, Honors in the major is separate from L&S Honors and one does not need to be in L&S Honors in order to pursue Honors in the major. </p>

<p>"Honors in the Major is the second type of honors degree offered by the College of Letters and Science. Its requirements can be completed independently from Honors in the Liberal Arts: neither is a prerequisite for the other. The curriculum for Honors in the Major is established by each academic department and program in the College for students who want the best possible undergraduate education in a particular discipline. Students must apply to their major department for permission to enter this phase of the Honors Program. Requirements vary a great deal from department to department, but all are designed to culminate in a senior-year experience in which students are exposed to the cutting edge of that particular field. Many Honors in the Major students will write an original research thesis, but in some departments students may produce an original work of art, put on a performance, enroll in graduate-level seminars or complete a “practicum” in which they work and learn as professionals in their chosen field. Students completing the requirements for Honors in the Major receive the best possible preparation for graduate and professional training, as well as the world of work and service apart from school. "</p>

<p>Notice that Honors courses in the major are most likely required. Honors in Liberal Arts is not Comprehensive Honors (a combination of both types in the past). Therefore an entering freshman is wise to check out the Honors Program to get advice and potentially take courses not in the major for Honors as a freshman. Later the student can decide to go for one, the other, or all. It is nice to have a broad range of Honors courses to meet both sets of requirements for your own education. No one cares about the details in the real world, especially since most won’t know how UW designates any Honors compared to any other college. Honors courses typically will require some extra work, but are not necessarily more difficult or harder to get a good grade in. You can always drop the Honors aspect of a regular course, or switch out of it in the early part of the semester. Your SOAR advisor will help on the details.</p>