La Quinta versus Value Place for Famly Weekend

<p>Secured a room at La Quinta but starting to get cold feet as I read reviews. Is Value Place a reasonable alternative from location point of view? We will have a car, but I assume that parking on a game day will be beyond gruesome…thx</p>

<p>Parking isn’t as bad on family weekend as it is more popular games. You can actually get free parking at the Downtown Intermodal Facility (parking garage) and walk about .75 miles to the stadium or pay $1 each way to take a bus.</p>

<p>I suggest booking a refundable rate as people do cancel reservations. I do recommend the Greystone Inn and Suites out by the Mercedes plant as they do a lot of nice things for game days. </p>

<p>The Tuscaloosa La Quinta is not in the best area and the Value Place gets mixed reviews as it’s a long-term stay property. </p>

<p>Many people stay in Hoover and drive to Tuscaloosa. It’s often quicker to take Exit 79 (which turns into University Boulevard after a few miles) or even Exit 100 (AL-216, which is a rural road). The State of Alabama allows UA to place large signs on I-20/59 telling passengers of alternate routes to campus. Exit 79 is often the quickest way to campus even on non-gamedays. More information about alternate routes can be found at <a href=“http://uagameday.com/football/traffic-flow.php”>http://uagameday.com/football/traffic-flow.php&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I would keep checking for hotels until the actual weekend arrives. Some better alternatives (albeit pricey ones) will probably come up close to last minute as people will find plans have changed. </p>

<p>Anyone have any experince in staying in Bessemer? That is where we are booked for Family weekend. The Greystone appears to be booked up.</p>

<p>We don’t travel frequently, but LaQuinta is usually where we stay when we do. We have stayed at the T-town LQ 4-5 times over the past year. It is a little older than most LQ’s and not quite as “spiffy” as some, but it has always been clean and quiet for us (Never stayed on a football weekend tho’) . The desk personnel have been good and it is convenient to have continental breakfast there. </p>

<p>Never had any issues with our car being vandalized or broken into, although who would want to break into a 2005 van that has been the “learning vehicle” for 4 teenage drivers and is usually driven by a mom who isn’t great at backing…</p>

<p>Hotels in Bessemer often jack up their rates for football weekends. Just FYI.</p>

<p>We stayed in the Hampton Inn at Bessemer for my son’s freshman move-in. I thought it was fine, and not too inconvenient.</p>

<p>I’ve stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Bessemer when I couldn’t get a room in Tuscaloosa. It is not far and if you book early enough, not too pricey. A nice, clean hotel, and I’ve gotten very good rates there. Just make sure your reservations are cancellable and refundable. We’ve stayed as far as the Hoover Residence Inn which was very nice and not pricey. Not a bad drive once you get past the Gameday traffic.</p>