Lack of AP classes at Lawrence Academy

That’s a different school. This is the school being discussed

3 Likes

Yes, the school I looked up for College Matriculation is LA in Groton and does not have AP classes. It’s interesting on an accepted student zoom call they mentioned over 1000 applicants this year, but the school is about 400 total, so the acceptance rate seems lower than what I anticipated. Now my daughter could have a couple “hooks” as she is a club field hockey and Softball player, but she was not actively recruited and never spoke to coaches during the admission process as they did not respond to her emails! If she plans to continue playing these sports in College, we hope she can stand out at LA to be on the track for the NESCAC schools.

I think you can still take the AP test if you want to place out of courses at college. Others will know more than me, but I think in many instances students take the applicable exam, even if the course is not labeled “AP”.

As I said in my first response, that’s definitely the case.

How much a course labelled advanced will align with the AP curriculum will vary by subject and school. How much extra work the student will need to do on their own to fill in the gaps will vary accordingly.

2 Likes

Deleted… misread Lawrenceville for Lawrence Academy.

Yes indeedy.

I would have to agree - out of all the ISL schools it has a rep for being the weakest. A lot of kids go there lured by the Winterim program which is a terrific program but it is only two weeks out of the entire school year and some do not always get their top choice. Groton, MX, SMS are known as the stronger academically but your D can also make the best of it as it is a nice campus and like many have mentioned she can easily speak to her teachers for more advanced work to be challenged.