LACs/small schools with merit scholarships? [NJ resident, 3.98, 1560; economics and music]

The site, which, I believe, is maintained by volunteer social scientists, is updated monthly. Consequently, it seems to register — reasonably quickly — the type of scenario you introduced. As an example, I’ve seen a significant (downward) change for Reed across fairly recent months.

St Olaf would be a solid safety as long as he shows interest and applies for the music scholarships. Excellent opportunities for nonmajors, topnotch for music, solid Econ (Quantitative Econ major in addition to “regular” Econ, management and other concentrations possible), excellent for math (important depending on the type of Econ he’s interested in).
https://wp.stolaf.edu/musicadm/scholarships/
https://wp.stolaf.edu/economics/

4 Likes

We definitely looked into this. Thanks!

Downside to Northwestern is that they give almost no merit $.

1 Like

Lawrence University has a wonderful music program. My son didn’t have nearly the stats yours does and he was offered a huge merit scholarship. (He did submit an audition, though – they must have liked it :slight_smile:.) Since you are looking at schools in NY, Ithaca College has an amazing music school – incredible facilities, rock star professors – and a strong business program. Again, I’m sure he’d get great merit there.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what music level OP’s kid is at, but we looked at Southwestern and didn’t find it to be a fit for our musicians on the music front. If your kid is wanting a higher level of performance, I think they might be disappointed. That said – I love this school for everything else it offers.

2 Likes

When I see music, LAC, and merit aid, I think Oberlin and St. Olaf. I’m not sure how either fares in economics though. I’m encouraging my own kid, who sounds similar to yours except that she’s interested in studio art, to at least apply to Oberlin. The location isn’t appealing to everyone, but it sounds like a neat school and I personally like the fact that it has a concentration in arts administration.

The only other school with an art administration minor that we looked at is Skidmore. We visited Skidmore this summer and liked it. Among LACs, Skidmore seems to have one of the strongest arts cultures, and it has a music scholarship, which you probably already know about.

That, and it is another reach school - very tough to get into.

He spent a week at Oberlin for a music program. Loved the teacher. School was not a fit. He will apply to Skidmore for their Filene scholarship. We have looked at st olaf.

3 Likes

Southwestern is not a geographical fit. He is auditioning for music programs like Blair

1 Like

He is having a hard time deciding abojt northwestern. It would be a tough admit without an audition and if he did audition for music it is a 5 year dual degree program that he doesn’t really want. And it would be full price.

1 Like

Wouldn’t his ED choice Williams College also be full price ?

1 Like

Yup! We have two lists. Those that we are willing to pay full price (not sure why but it is what it is) and then those that the price will be important. Williams, Brown, Vandy he is very invested in and we would pay full price (he has a fund with the money) Emory will probably go in that list once we see and meet the teacher. Others will depend. He is not so excited about the 5 years and location for northwestern. That is why it will probably stay off the list.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.