Lakeshore v. Southeast for Social Scene

<p>Hi all!
I'll probably be attending this fall so I have a question about housing for anyone with some insight.
I really want to live in the lakeshore district because I'm from a big city and want a more campusy feel, but I also want to have an active social life while in college (obviously). From previous threads I've read, the southeast district is really the social scene. Are there still lots of parties and things of the sort to do if you live on lakeshore?
I got in early and so I have preference in housing so I was thinking about doing elizabeth waters, but does anyone have a different suggestion about housing if I intend on going out on the weekends?</p>

<p>My daughter is also very likely to attend in the fall. Early acceptance does not give you housing preference. </p>

<p>Much has been written on this subject in other threads on this site that you can search. My sense is that as long as your in a dorm with many other freshmen, you won’t lack for any sort of social opportunity.</p>

<p>I think that in past years not everyone who chose Liz as their first choice got in, so you might want to give some thought to what your alternative choices might be.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Are you sure you have a preference for housing? The only preference for housing I am aware of is when you rank a learning community as your first choice.</p>

<p>I believe Madison85 is correct. Otherwise, preference order will be determined by lottery on May 5.</p>

<p>I’m a current college freshman transferring to UW Madison. You can be social and party know matter what dorm you’re in. It’s easy to make friends with similar interests and values wherever you are. I’m staying in a dorm when I transfer, I will be choosing a combination of the “nicest” and “most convenient” dorm for me. I’d recommend that, but people will party and be social in every dorm.</p>

<p>When I met with my rep earlier this year he said you get housing preference if you’re an early accepted student.</p>

<p>The link below explains the housing assignment process in detail. There is no preference for early acceptance.</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.housing.wisc.edu/residencehalls/academicselection[/url]”>https://www.housing.wisc.edu/residencehalls/academicselection&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Yep - </p>

<p>“No matter how early you were admitted to the University, it is possible that you could appear at the beginning or end of the random priority list.”</p>

<p>Rank your top dorms according to where you want to live, not where you think your classes might be. It is nice to de-stress along the lakeshore and not at all difficult to walk to State St- even in winter. All dorms available to freshmen will have at least 50% freshmen. All dorms will have social opportunities and like minded people. You all chose UW and likely ranked your dorm high on your preference list.</p>

<p>It is so nice UW does the housing lottery so date of UW acceptance has nothing to do with your chances for the dorm you desire.</p>

<p>@wis75 I thought I heard somewhere that some of the Lakeshore dorms have more upperclassmen than freshman (I think I heard Tripp and some others had that). I guess that’s not true then? Or is there just a higher concentration of freshman in some dorms than in others?</p>

<p>I was so bummed eons ago when I had to live in Witte. [mumble mumble] years later, those other Witte kids are still my best friends ever. I’m going to the South of France with a couple of them (and a bigger group friends) this summer. It’s the people, not the place. And I loved not having to schlep to class and State St and the Union from the Lakeshore area.</p>

<p>On dorms with higher percentage of upper classman, my son tells me that the newer dorms in both southeast and lakeshore draw the upper class students remaining in the residence halls. So, Ogg and Smith still have lots of freshman, but have sophomores and some juniors as well. Same with lakeshore – Dejope etc draw the students who stay on campus after freshman year. </p>

<p>Still, he realizes that even the slightly bedraggled southeast towers had plenty of accoutrements – great quality laundry facilities, computer room etc. This year, he has a 20 year old w/d in a pretty disgusting basement and there are no texts when your clothes are dry . . .</p>

<p>Some dorm floors may have much higher than 50% freshmen, while some preferred floors may have more returning, usually sophomore, students even if there are at least 50% freshmen in the entire dorm. There are some dorms that draw returning students, eg Liz (Waters). But Liz has some floors returning students won’t choose making them filled with new students and others are mainly returning students.</p>

<p>No matter which dorm you are in you will find plenty of new students. There are pros and cons to every dorm. My friends would not live where I chose (and vice versa)- I loved living close to the lake and away from the city area eons ago. Don’t worry about it- you will be able to make friends and socialize no matter which one you are in. You can also finalize your rankings in spring.</p>