Lakeside?

<p>Ok, figured I should start a thread about Lakeside. Anyone have info they would like to share, or even photos? My son will be in Lakeside West next year.</p>

<p>What type of info are you looking for? My S is living there right now taking summer classes and working as one of the RAs/Peer Coaches for the Early College program.</p>

<p>Does a room on the north side need room darkening blinds? Are there towel racks in the bathroom? Does the closet have room for an additional storage unit? Any other stuff your son found useful that I might not be thinking of? Small bedside table? </p>

<p>This is all wishful thinking of course. His stuff will probably be all over the floor after 1 week!</p>

<p>We are living there also. We’ve been told to take a minifridge for a bedside table</p>

<p>I will ask my S those questions the next time I talk to him. We did some bed pocket organizers instead of a table because he lofts his bed. A bath mat is a good idea, the floor right outside the shower can be slick. A shoe organizer is nice to hang on the inside of the closet door for shoes and other odds and ends. Britta water pitcher is good for the fridge, but the water at UA straight from the tap is not bad at all.</p>

<p>what about a fan? thinking it may be needed also</p>

<p>rolltide, any suggestions for those going to Early College for Summer II?<br>
DD will be moving from Lakeside to Tut at move out for Summer II and will have just about everything with her already for EA. She already said a bath mat after being at BB in RCS and not having one. She won’t need it at Tut so it may be a donated item.<br>
Speaking of, where does one place items they wish to “donate” or “pass on”?</p>

<p>I can’t think of anything in particular. Tut is communal, whereas Ridgecrest is Suite-Style. So, maybe a shower organizer to carry back and forth? I just got one for the boy, as he was in Presidential last year and will be going to Paty this fall. Shades for your D’s window (if she is up high) as I hear the Football lights can be rather blinding…</p>

<p>Usually at the end of a traditional semester, they have donation collection points set up. I am not sure that will be the case with end of summer/early college. Maybe your D has a friend or someone who knows someone in a suite where it could be used?</p>

<p>I was in a room on the south-facing side (facing the lake) of Lakeside West last year. Lights from around the lake were easy to deal with - I just turned the blinds up instead of down. There is one rung for towels in each bathroom, as well as wooden cabinets. The bath mat is a very good idea. The bedroom closets have sliding doors, so you can’t easily hang things from them. However there are two full levels and one half level of shelving in there, with some room for hanging clothes. A desk, small chest with one drawer and locking cabinet, and three-drawer dresser are possible bedside tables - I used the small chest. And I got by just fine without a fan, although I am a fan of the heat. You can control the temperature in the suite, within reason.</p>

<p>TNTide5- is there space for a coupler bar in the closet- that makes 2 rows of hanging clothes- from what you said I am thinking not…since there is shelving</p>

<p>also is there a storage closet outside of suite- shows one of the map of room…</p>

<p>D is in Lakeside for EC. No, no room in the closet for any extra organizing bars or such. We hung D’s over the door shoe organizer on the racks in the closet as you can not hang any over door things on those closet doors. D is using the smaller cabinet provided as her nightstand. We lowered the bed a bit for that to work. </p>

<p>FAN! FAN! FAN! Yes, you NEED a fan! As a matter of fact, have that fan ready to go as soon as you walk in the door at move in. Those tower fans do require a bit of assembly for the base. </p>

<p>We put the over the door mirror on the bedroom door. D does use a shower caddy to take her stuff to shower. She did not want a mini fridge in her room.</p>

<p>It does show a storage closet online but there is not one in the suite at all. Under the bed is plenty of storage for luggage not in use. Room in the living area for a small entertainment cabinet or such.</p>

<p>The storage closet door is outside the dorm suite, in the hallway.</p>

<p>My daughter lived in Lakeside during her freshman year. We specifically asked her RA about a storage closet because we had heard that each suite had a storage closet in the hall and were told that there were no storage closets in the hallway or otherwise.</p>

<p>so did she get to use the closet?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That is weird since it is in the floorplan. Do Ridgecrest East and West have the closet? I know my daughter had one her freshman year in Riverside. She was in RCS-N last year and will be in Lakeside East this fall. She’ll have a single so we weren’t expecting a closet anyways, but thought the 4 person suites would have them.</p>

<p>I know that D and her EC roommates do not have access to any storage closet outside of their suite. Honestly, I am not sure why one would need it. Even w/ the plastic storage drawers under the bed there is plenty of room behind those for extra storage for things not needed very often, like luggage. The bathroom is a decent size and one could even store a vacuum in there and other cleaning items. D will be in Tut for the year and sharing a room not much larger with one other person. She should be good on storage space. Unless your kid is transporting everything in a big trunk or 2, or 3, no need for a big storage closet.</p>

<p>

The RA said that there were no storage closets, so no, she didn’t get to use the closet. It would have been nice to have for the vacuum cleaner, brooms, mops, ironing board, etc – basically bulky shared items that are handy to have in an accessible area – but between the closets, under bed areas, kitchen and bathroom cupboards everything found a home. Bottom line – although the floorplan shows the closet, don’t count on having it.</p>

<p>My four-person suite in Lakeside West had access to a storage closet just down the hallway from our front door. I see these doors all down the hallways, so I would assume each suite has one. Your personal room key unlocks it. It wasn’t really that necessary, but some of my suitemates stored boxes there, and that’s where we kept the vacuum. Bear in mind that other suite-style dorms (such as Ridgecrest) do not necessarily have these rooms. I know for sure that South doesn’t. It’s best to keep your luggage/storable possessions to a minimum though, since there is obviously some uncertainty as to how to store things.</p>

<p>thanks- also how long of an ethernet cord is needed-adding things to my list-I am sure we will forget something!</p>

<p>Depends on where you choose to put your desk. 15’ is the absolute longest I can see you needing. That will stretch from one corner of the room to the other (diagonally). I think that’s what I took, even though 5’ would have worked.</p>

<p>Forgetting things is all a part of the journey. Luckily, there are plenty of stores in Tuscaloosa for whatever you don’t bring. It will all work out! :)</p>