Language requirement for admission

On UW-Madison’s requirement page, they say they require 3 years of a language for admission. Ive only taken 2 years, and there’s no way im going to take a third. Is the 3 year requirement a binding thing?? Like, if i dont have 3 years, will they not accept me?

Im OOS and UW isnt my first choice, so i guess i’d be okay with not applying if this language thing is going to interfere with my admissions, but Id like to apply because ive heard good things about the school and its ranked pretty well in my desired major. Should i apply anyways and see if the rest of my application gets me in, or should I just give up on it if theres no chance of acceptance without 3 years of language?

In looking at the admissions page they seem pretty set on it. Does your school not offer third year languages?

My school offers up to the 5th level of a language, but i took my two levels of spanish as a freshman and sophomore, didnt take any language my junior year, and it wouldnt make sense to take spanish 3 as a senior after having a year and a half off from it.

Bump

You will also notice that most competitive applicants will have 4 years of a foreign language. You can research past CC posts and find one or two where there are students admitted who only have had 2 years.

As always, your best bet is to get questions answered by the authoritative source- UW admissions. Send them an email with your question. Exceptions can be often made if the candidate is stellar otherwise. Look at all of the required and accepted student course work. Check the mid 50% ranges for unweighted grades and test scores. Unless you fall well into the top 25th percentile I would not expect you to replace someone else who did meet the requirements.