Laptop Computers

<p>hey there i just checked back on the site ... as off now u can still get 750$ off your inspiron notebook..... <a href="http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/value?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/value?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>let me know what happens..... or check out <a href="http://www"&gt;www&lt;/a>. ableshopper.com</p>

<p>o you used the thing from slickdeals</p>

<p>you can't seem to customize the laptop with that deal.</p>

<p>I believe if you go to the ITAP page at Purdue there are links there to get a discount through Dell (and maybe others). I have a son that go a great deal through his school by clicking through from them. It was for a Dell that he could customize. He had to enter his student ID but all together he got 25% off.</p>

<p>well you see the only reason i was interested was that nash said he got the 9300 i'm assuming with a good graphics card + big ram + large HD & DVR@ only 1150. i have never been able to find a good deal where all these things are included for that price, which is why i wanted to know where he got this deal. the only laptop i've found with most of these components is a HP DV4000 that i'll probably be getting around august.</p>

<p>80 gig HD
1.76 Ghz PM processor
1 gig of ram etc...
dvd rewrite
etc...
i was hoping to find that 9300 with all these featurs + a good graphics card (the HP has integrated graphics) for 1150, because that would seriously be a good deal.</p>

<p>Neither have we. The one son who got the Dell through his college got all the goodies on it but spent nearly 2 grand, it's a portable gaming machine (great graphics etc). Son that is going to Purdue got similar goodies on his but in order to bring the price down (1100 or so) he had to go with HP, not Dell.</p>

<p>I believe you can get good deals on the site i mentioned.... i got a configured laptop top-specs maybe better than u stated for like 1500.... what is ure budget like...?</p>

<p>i'm thinking about spending between 1000-1300. i mean its not necessary for me to have a good video card, but if i can find one in that price range, i would def take a look at it. yeah i found another HP that had a good vid card around that price,but its friggin huge.</p>

<p>OK, it's decided, S is getting a laptop but wants to be able to play "Warcraft." Can you play it on the Dell Inspirion? I couldn't find it on the Purdue store website so I'm wondering whether to go on and buy it (or another laptop) before we get there.</p>

<p>Two of my kids play Warcraft religiously and both play it on their laptops (the Dell and the HP) The specs for their computers are HD: 1.7mhz to 2.0, RaM 512 and both have good graphics cards. My son with the Dell? His is really heavy and not one he can take to class but he loves it because he CAN play games on it too. </p>

<p>Laptops, especially laptops that are equipped to play games, generate a lot of heat and sometimes that heat causes problems, sometimes heat is the death of a laptop. Both kids have spent the extra 40-50 dollars and purchased Chill Hub (or something like that) from the TARGUS company. It is a small flat plate with fans in it that sits under the laptop to help keep them that much cooler. It also creates a couple more USB ports and well worth the $$. If sons were around I could tell you more.</p>

<p>i actually just returned my HP and bought a dell. i found a really good deal (it's already over). i bought a dell 600m, which is nice and portable ~5lbs w/ battery life ~4 hrs. i configured it with a host of pretty nice features usually reserved for larger laptops though for about 1200 (discounted from ~2000). in fact its the second smallest laptop made by dell.</p>

<p>1.8 Ghz Pentium M
80 gb HD/ 1 Gb RAM. SXGA+ 14" screen.
ATI radeon x300 mobility 64 mb card.</p>

<p>it was by far the best deal i've found in a while, as it is both mobile and will allow for things like video editing/gaming. of course its not going to be as good as a desktop replacement in those areas, but it will certainly get the job done.</p>

<p>hdotchar, kind of afraid to ask. Why did you have to return the HP? So far so good, but son has only had it since June. Just curious what happened to yours, do you mind sharing?</p>

<p>i returned the HP only because i thought that this was a better deal, it was more portable (almost a pound lighter and battery life was an hour longer)... had better features. the price difference is a only about 150 bucks. i had just purchased the HP not too long ago, it has nothing to do with reliability issues. in addition the markdown for the dell was about 700 dollars, usually the same laptop will run a cool 2000.</p>

<p>Glad to know you could avail of the super scheme ... unfortunately for mominin the scheme expired today morning..... Pleased to be of some assistance.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing. So far son seems happy so I guess I am happy :)</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your input. Problem solved today - I found a Dell store at the mall and we customized and ordered the Inspiron 9300. They threw in a printer and gave a discount of several hundred dollars off. We should have it before we leave for BGR. We got the 2 year special warranty where everything is covered.</p>

<p>yeah my dell gets delivered to me around aug. 10th</p>

<p>im an intl student from dubai. as far as i know acer notebooks are good in dubai but i wud like to know if its the same in the US. Acer as i know has a better specs than Dell for a given price. Also is there adequate support for Acer in the US?
one more thing.......( i have limited knowledge about software)
which one is better for laptops?
XP Pro or home? whats the diff?</p>

<p>Does anyone worry about theft of their laptops in their rooms? Are locks advisable?</p>

<p>I am also curious about the theft issue. Is this a problem at the campus? Will I have to buy a lock?</p>