Laptop Suggestions Anyone?

<p>My parents are planning on getting me a laptop for graduation (go me!) and they're basically letting me do all the research and they'll probably set some kind of price limit. First question: I know portability is a pretty big thing for college, but I also want something where I will be able to see the screen without having to strain my eyes. So would a 15.6" screen be good, or should I move down to a 13" screen?
Second question: In terms of brands, which is the best for Windows?</p>

<p>I’ve used a mac for two years now, since my PC exploded in the middle of chemistry class. So I recommend a mac, probably a macbook air. I think a 13 inch screen is sufficient. I got a 15" screen because I was afraid that a 13" might be too cramped, but looking at 13" computers I think it’s more than enough. For a PC, I’ve always been satisfied with HP and Toshiba. Here’s a good article with a comparison of brands: [Best</a> & Worst Laptop Brands 2011: Overall Verdict](<a href=“http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/best-brands-overall-verdict-2011.aspx]Best”>Laptop Mag: Find the Perfect Laptop, Tablet or 2-in-1 for You)</p>

<p>Oh, this question is just TOO juicy for me not to respond!</p>

<p>Windows :frowning: …windows :frowning: …yuck!</p>

<p>We did the same thing for my D last year and she ended up going with the 13" Macbook Pro. The 15" is nicer, but she didn’t want to lug the extra weight around. We didn’t consider the Macbook Air - seemed kind of small and lightweight in the functionality department. </p>

<p>As a Marine Science major you’ll be taking many of the same courses she did and there is absolutely no reason to stoop to a windows pc. Unless you really like having to patch the silly thing every month, expose yourself to hundreds of thousands of viruses, worms, trojans etc, wait forever for startup/shutdown, etc, etc…</p>

<p>Yes, the 13" Macbook Pro starts at $1100 ($1200 minus the $100 student discount - just need to show them your UM acceptance letter for that). In my opinion, it is worth every penny. The brushed aluminum case alone is about as cool as it gets, altho most students cover them up with a day-glo cover. Plus, that aluminum is tough - can withstand a drop to the linoleum floors in the dorms - trust me on that one…</p>

<p>Note: the U will give you (as in free) either the mac or pc version of Microsoft Office. They provide a download link sometime in August so you can play with it before making the trip to move in. Trivia nugget - Microsoft created Word, Excel and Powerpoint software for the Mac (1984-86-87) before they released it for Windows(1990)!</p>

<p>Another note: If you do go with Apple, be sure NOT to fall for that silly bootcamp option, where you can run an instance of the Win OS under the covers (as a dual boot). You’d still need to open it up and patch it to deal with the 1100+ new viruses/variants discovered each and every month. And for what? Unless you are running some proprietary Win program that has not been replicated for the mac (like MS Access), you have no need to clutter your machine with Windows any-version.</p>

<p>UM will also offer to sell you a new mac, loaded with Office and ready for you to pick up during move in week. My D decided she wanted it earlier than that so she could get it all set up the way she liked it - plus her 3 year old Win Vista machine was shutting itself down at random times (registry corruption, despite spending $70+ per year for a security suite.) She got the mac in April I beleive. Regardless if you bring one or buy from UM, once you’re on campus, you’ll take it to the UM geek squad who will install UM’s WAN software to get your wireless connection from most everywhere on campus.</p>

<p>A Final note: As an IT professional, I am required to carry a Win7 laptop for my job - I hate it. We have nearly completed our household cutover to Apple (new ipad next month) and I hope to never ever go back to the dark side.</p>

<p>Is that enough ranting? Because I could do more…just sayin’ :wink:
~Zink</p>

<p>Hahaha, I appreciate the advice, but there’s just something about macs that I’m not crazy about. I’m willing to deal with Windows (to be perfectly honest, I’ve used both mac and windows-based pcs and I’m much happier with Windows than mac). I found an Acer laptop that has gotten very good reviews, with a 13.3" display. I’ll probably test it out in the store before buying it, but I think that’s where I’m gonna go. Sorry to all those mac-users out there that may take offense to me being anti-mac, haha. But in both phones and computers, I’ve always been left wanting more with apple products.</p>

<p>My son is a Communication major and a serious techie. He upgraded the battery and kept his 2 year old HP laptop which he loves with the expectation that he will upgrade to a apple product going into Jr. year when he will need the better graphics. He bought an Asus Transformer tablet with attachable keyboard and that is the only thing he takes to class in a little string bag. He, and many other students, use tablets for note taking in class. He uploads his notes to evernote and then accesses them on his laptop back in his dorm room when he wants to work on homework/write papers. For the same cost as a macbook he wants a souped up mac mini and a monitor (well, actually he wants 2 monitors lol) for his room with the expectation that he will not need the portability because he will only carry his tablet. His last laptop was a Toshiba which died an early death and a similar problem occurred with a couple of friends laptops so I would stay away from that brand. Hope this helps and congrats on UM!</p>

<p>Check out the UM Info Technology site. There’s lots of good info about student purchases, UM supported products and available free software.
[New</a> to UM | Information Technology | University of Miami](<a href=“http://www.miami.edu/it/index.php/new_to_um/]New”>University of Miami Information Technology)</p>

<p>Don’t let everyone psych you out. Almost everyone here has a Mac because they have the typical Miami mentality-- it’s all about the appearance and name and price doesn’t matter. </p>

<p>Windows are just as good as, if not better than, Macs. They perform all the same functions you’re going to need and are a fraction of the cost. In fact, in one of my classes, Mac students had to crack their computers to run Windows for the program we use.</p>

<p>I have a Lenovo and I like it fairly well. Also consider how much the computer weighs before buying. I have a 15" and lugging it around campus was really a pain. That’s why in the second semester I bought a Kindle Fire to take to class instead of a laptop, so that’s an option. And even buying both a laptop and tablet, I spent WAAAAY less than brainwashed Macheads.</p>

<p>Who’s really brainwashed here? It boils down to the experiences we’ve had with the 2 operating systems over the years. For me, the mac os is a more stable, less easily broken platform than what I’ve experienced with windows over the past 15 years in working with everything from dos based machines to Win7. I’m not in favor of Apple because of the hype or how many students have either mac or win. I’m in favor of a machine that will behave itself and be reliable beyond 3 years. I’d much rather pay less for it, but Apple charges what the market will bear and they have more demand than they can handle even at their premium prices.
I’m not a brainwashed machead - in fact, our D’s machine was the first mac we ever owned after burning thru 3 Windows machines over the past 12 years or so.</p>

<p>Non-biased Mom here… These are my sons experiences and advice no matter which system you end up purchasing…</p>

<p>Son1 (Recent Um grad). Started with Dell. 17 inch screen. (probably overkill. Fully loaded. HS grad gift to all grand kids. Her IT man picked model and every program, extra available. Son liked it a lot except it is heavy.0 Broken a couple of times. Replaced with Macbook Pro for senior year. Has it in grad school. Absolutely loves it. Has repair warranty and had to have it repaired near campus once or twice in the little over a year he had it at the U.</p>

<p>Son2- current Jr at different school. Total computephile early on… Taught himself programming languages by age 12 or so, had online business remotely fixing peoples computers ect, by age 14 or so, all self taught. He is the neighborhood computer repairman. Anyway, he rec’d similar Dell from Grandma at HS graduation. Loves it. Still uses it. Wanted a smaller laptop a year or so ago that was lightweight and purchased an Acer. Had a couple of problems with the Dell. Has a contract (thanks Grandma) that a Dell representative will repair “in home” if needed. Yes, it was needed and they came adn installed something for him.</p>

<p>In the end— buy what you like and is in the budget. Both Dell and Mac have broken but were repaired. My best friends daughter also has a Mac (she’s a sophomore in college) and her laptop is currently broken and needs repair. Laptops are used, overused and left on a lot… No matter the make , they all seem to break. best advice, whichever you pick, get the longest warranty available for purchase. FYI- zincwhiskers gives great advice, but I must tell you sons Mac’s cover broke off and cracked. When he had to send it out for repair, they did replace it for him. May be metal, but kids are kids and they are hard on everything!!</p>

<p>Marinebio- have fun at the U and Go Canes!!</p>

<p>@ZincWhiskers-- I’ve worked a lot with both operating systems which is why I believe they’re about equal. I’ve had issues with Windows computers and Mac computers alike. And since all else is equal, it’s kind of ridiculous to pay hundreds more for one over the other.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice everyone! Except for those of you trying to convert me to a Mac… Haha, just kidding, your advice is also appreciated (just not taken :P) Anyway, I think I’ve decided on a Lenovo, either the T420s or E420s. I will probably be checking them out at Best Buy or Radio Shack to be sure, but they look pretty awesome :)</p>