Last few class days before Thanksgiving

<p>My D is a freshman, and we live in Atlanta, but are planning on spending Thanksgiving in the Chicago area. I’ve been told by a couple moms that if you are a good student, have decent communication with your profs, that many will not schedule much class work or tests the Mon-Wed before Thanksgiving break.</p>

<p>Urban legend or not? Trying to plan transportation before it gets too crazy.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Sounds like an urban legend.</p>

<p>How would being a good student prevent a prof from scheduling a test for the class that week?</p>

<p>There isn’t class on Wed already and there are not any labs that week either. My Freshman D has also been told that she won’t have her Honors Seminar, which means she could have left as early as Monday eve but the flight is at 5 and I thought that was cutting it close so she leaves Tuesday am instead.</p>

<p>My son has a UH class that meets late on Tuesdays. They have a big day of presentations scheduled on the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Have your student look at her syllabi for that week and see what she would be missing if she were to miss class.</p>

<p>Gosh, I wish Bama would just get rid of classes on Mon and Tues of Tgiving week. With the school now enrolling so many OOS students, it just seems nutty.</p>

<p>^^ Yes, take away the two days for fall break and add them to Thanksgiving break. It won’t happen, though, with so many kids involved in band and football related activities, it might not be fair to those kids who could conceivably get home for fall break but must stay at school for Iron Bowl activities.</p>

<p>It’s crazy. We are flying our son home on the Wednesday 7am direct flight to NY and return on the late 8pm return Sunday. That Wednesday concerns us since that is the busiest travel day of the year.</p>

<p>How did I miss no classes on weds? S had a late class so I have him flying in at midnight 3 hours away?</p>

<p>November 27Classes dismissed (UA open - normal business hours)
November 28-29Holiday - Thanksgiving
I took this to mean that they had class Weds the 27th?</p>

<p>There are no classes but it’s not a holiday for the staff. It’s confusing!</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for this post! I thought that there was school on Wednesday so I thought she would have to fly home Thanksgiving day. My day just got a little brighter. Tuesday is a light day for her schedule. Can I just write her professors a note saying that I miss my child, want to spend time with her and to excuse her from class?!?! Now I just have to see if there is an afternoon flight.</p>

<p>I agree - do away with the two days of fall break and give them the whole week. We booked on Southwest in case profs cancel class. SW doesn’t have change fees.</p>

<p>I wish Southwest had direct flights to NY. It would make life so much easier. Delta is the worst. $200 to change a flight plus the cost difference of the new flight.</p>

<p>Southwest also makes you pay the cost difference, but will give you a credit if the price goes down! We’ve gotten credits as many times as we’ve paid more. Delta’s pretty much in line with all the other airlines. Crazy!</p>

<p>Southwest doesn’t have change fees, but unless you book several options with points (which we’ve done in the past), changing later can be just as expensive because their prices tend to increase significantly once a flight starts filling up.</p>

<p>I did escape the change fee once recently. I (please God forgive me) booked my sons return flight from the Holiday break on the same day as the BCS National Championship Jan 6th (7:50pm flight, right smack in the middle of the game). After only an hour (apparently there’s a 30 minute grace peiod) I realized this and called Delta. They were unsympathetic and insisted on the $200 change fee. After much conversation and 3 levels of supervisors, I explained how crazy it was that I’d be charged $200 to change a flight after only 1 hour since I last booked it for a flight that was 7 months away. Common sense prevailed and I was allowed to change the flight by a day earlier with no change fee. Make no mistake I was on the phone for the better part of almost 2 hours. I guess persistence paid off, or they just got tired of hearing me. Either way no change fee.</p>

<p>Well I booked on SW too I can change it for double the price and flying through Chicago, I’m thinking that’s a little iffy. Trying to book semester break with SW & everything is going through the Midwest, ugh</p>

<p>Can I cancel one direction of the SW ticket?</p>

<p>you might have to cancel the whole ticket and rebook the part you want, but idk for sure.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>When we had to do this (cancel only leg of a round trip purchase), we had to call to do it, but it could be done.</p>