Last minute question

<p>I realize I probably won't get a response this late, but just in case...</p>

<p>My daughter is on a new student trip, and we think she arrives back around noon tomorrow. Tomorrow is move-in day, with dorms opening at 8 am. Our understanding is that we are to meet up with her on campus after she returns from her trip. Then we get just a few hours to move in before orientation activities start at 4 pm. Just a tad stressed about this, though I'm sure it will be fine in the long run. Wondering if any current students or orientation leaders are reading this forum and can tell me if there is anything that we, her parents, can do earlier in the morning on campus to help move things along. Or, do we just wait for her call?</p>

<p>Thanks so much if you read this and can respond tonight or early tomorrow!</p>

<p>Karen in CA</p>

<p>Too late to answer, but I would guess no. I think they like students to do things for themselves, in order to start them on the path to independence. That is, they’re going to have to do it by themselves after you leave, so it’s best to start them early.</p>

<p>In any case, you’ll have opportunities to get those forgotten items through the weekend. As I recall, we made a couple of shopping excursions during the evenings and that Saturday.</p>

<p>BTW, my son lives off campus and they just got a place on Monday (they had hoped to get one in May). At this point, he really has to do things on his own, without our help other than a suggestion or two.</p>

<p>Thanks for your response. It all worked out fine. We actually arrived a bit before her, and they did let us start moving stuff in. She arrived shortly thereafter and was relieved we’d already started, as she didn’t have a lot of time before she had to get to orientation. </p>

<p>How many years did your son live on campus? Is it hard to find apartments or houses close to the school?</p>

<p>Take care,
Karen</p>

<p>My son lived on campus his first 2 years and then moved into a house rental in his junior year. Close to school is somewhat relative. His first house was bike-able/walkable under a mile away, but was essentially uphill (both ways according to him, just kidding). His current rental is about 1.3 miles away (barely walkable), but he’s about 3 blocks from a Pioneer Express bus stop (the free school bus to downtown). He’s planning on taking it 3 times a week and driving the other 2 days. </p>

<p>The first house they got at the end of the second year in May. They got the current rental the week before school started. He searched over the summer during his internship, but had a lot of no shows when looking at houses. He ended up giving up and coming home (his roommates were overseas over the summer), but looked at listings online. I think one of his roommates found the place when she returned, he filled the paperwork out on Friday and found out they got it that Monday when he flew down. So, the first was easy and the second was more difficult. The first was more of a dump and the second is much nicer. </p>

<p>His search was more difficult because there are 4 roommates. There were 3 bedroom houses that they passed up. We weren’t too worried because there are drivable apartments near the school. He wasn’t that interested in an apartment because you could have neighbors living above, below and next to you. He also figured he might hole up and do nothing (he has roommates who will make him go out). In a house, they can have more people over. For instance, last year they had 10-15 people over for Thanksgiving (those who didn’t/weren’t able to go home). It was fun giving instructions over the phone on how to cook a turkey and other things. They may have had other parties too.</p>

<p>Hope your daughter isn’t overwhelmed in her first week of living away. Our son’s first experience wasn’t good (first dorm room had 3 in a double room), but he moved, had more space and started making friends. He was happy to be there by his third week.</p>

<p>Greetings! My son is now considering L&C for next year, wants to study geology/environmental science in preparation for graduate school. Any experience with the sciences, or any other thoughts to share? We’re in Texas, and won’t be able to visit until winter break.</p>

<p>Hi onesonmom,</p>

<p>My son is a chemistry major, now in his senior year. The number of science students is small as a percentage, so it means smaller class sizes than the average when you get past the intro courses. This also means opportunities for internships are greater. My son has had internships for his last two summers and has gotten independent study credit during a semester while continuing the research. I don’t think he would have gotten these opportunities in a larger school. My son was concerned about how the program compared to other schools in relation to getting in to a graduate school. He found that L&C students rated at the same level or above other major universities. </p>

<p>It doesn’t appear that L&C has a geology major or minor, so that may be a detriment. They do have an environmental studies major, so he could concentrate on geology as part of that major. He might also consider doing the New Zealand overseas program which has a biology/geology focus.</p>

<p>As a student, and also a chemistry major, I second the point about the sciences. I’ve had so many opportunities that I wouldn’t have had in a bigger school. I love science at LC.</p>

<p>LC does only have a geology concentration within environmental sciences, and the environmental studies major is less science than some would like. But having seen several of the environmental studies research presentations, there are students from all different disciplines (math, science, biology, etc) working with the enviro professors and they can totally help plan a course of study that would best fit what your son would want to do with geology.</p>

<p>Thanks, akck. My daughter seems to be doing well. One challenge she has encountered is finding friends who are not into partying (drinking and using). She’s worried about being labeled a prude. It’s reassuring to have read on the L&C forums about other students who don’t drink and have made plenty of friends who don’t drink, too. She seems to be finding her way, and is putting herself out there, signing up for clubs, etc. I know she’s homesick, but not terribly so. I’ll be relieved when she’s settled in, the first weeks are a bit stressful!</p>

<p>Is your daughter in Stewart Hall? I believe that’s the alcohol and drug free dorm on campus. I would assume most residents there are like minded. Give her a couple more weeks. As long as she continues what she’s been doing, she’ll find a few groups where she’ll fit in. Hopefully she’ll be able to work into study groups for her classes. That’s where my son met some of his friends.</p>