Late admissions to prep schools

Hi guys - long time watcher, first time poster. I just wanted to post a very interesting story.

My son, an incoming freshman, was waitlisted at every single GLADCHEMS and a handful of other selective schools. He was in dismay. We then applied late to a moderately selective school. He said he was content. Yet now, in July he informed us that he wanted to apply to a much more prestigious and selective school. The acceptance rate of this school is almost in the single digits. We agreed, as we felt he deserved his piece of mind. Now, fast forward a few weeks later, he was accepted. We are in shock. I just wanted to post this to anyone currently feeling discontent with their results. Don’t be afraid to reach for a school even now. I am living example to prove this!! I also just wanted the input of other people on CC if this happens often, or is this rather rare.

Never give up!!

2 Likes

I would say this is rare and you got very lucky. Congratulations on a good ending!

1 Like

Would you mind naming the school? How did they react to a late application?

We don’t know if the “much more prestigious and selective school” is a good fit for your son, but wishing him and your family well.

It’s a school in the TSAO. I don’t want to give to much information due to the fact that people from the school might be on CC.

1 Like

Did you not apply to this school earlier? Will your son be a boarding student?

I don’t understand this post. Your son was waitlisted at every GLADCHEMMS, but applied to a TSAO school, in July, and was accepted? The only TSAO schools not among the GLADCHEMMS are Taft, Hill, and Loomis. I was not aware that any of those three accepted applications in July.

I know someone whose child (I’d wager with big time coach support as they kid plays an elite club team sport) was accepted as a boarder to a GLADCHEMMS over the summer-- they didn’t apply regular cycle.

I had no idea this happened either but I guess they managed to find a room?