Late Applications at BS

Okay so this is a little bit of a weird story.
Anyways I applied to Choate, Hotchkiss, and Groton as a repeat 11th grade and got waitlisted at all 3. My hockey coach knows the Groton coach really well and when he talked to him yesterday he (Groton coach) said that he would give some recommendations at some schools to apply to for 2023 - 2024 school year.
Would I even have a chance at these schools since M10 already passed and I’m applying as a junior? Groton coach said he would give the list this weekend and one of the schools on the list is KUA. I can update when I get the list but I’m wondering if I would even have a chance at all with decisions already being done and I don’t think any of the schools on the list would have rolling admissions

1 Like

You are waitlisted, not rejected. If they need to get a person from the waitlist, then it’s your chance. The decision is not 100% done yet.

I would assume you’re a hockey recruit, so yes, you could probably find at least one school that would offer you admission (if you’re FP). If you need FA, might be more complicated.

2 Likes

So the schools the Groton coach suggested are
KUA
Pomfret
St. George’s
Holderness

There is a whole second application season for boarding schools that I was completely unaware of when I first joined this world of applying. But YES…there are definitely schools where you can apply late and get offers. FA does complicate matters a bit, though. But being a recruit could be a huge plus. Wishing you luck! I’ll bet you can find a spot!

3 Likes

Second season??

Look up rolling admissions.

1 Like

Yes.
There is a whole wave of applications that happens after M10 at way more schools than one might imagine.

3 Likes

My DS was waitlisted at Choate as well as a repeat sophomore. Are you playing 16U AAA hockey? Is it your travel hockey team coach calling the Groton coach?

Add Winchendon and Cushing as well.

If you are in need of FA, I know from experience that Winchendon has more FA than most available after M10 because they are rolling admission and hold FA amounts open beyond the M10 timeframe. My daughter transferred after the start of the school year and was offered a very generous FA package.

2 Likes

If you play a position a team has a gap then you could be in luck. Maybe have your coach send your bio (including academic, extracurriculars, hockey accomplishments), transcript, your EP link, link to recent film, and my guess is most coaches will at least respond. Some coaches already know some recruits they wanted weren’t accepted, some have chosen other schools, etc. They also will be hearing if current players are leaving for juniors. So by A10 they’ll have a better sense and if there is FA available if needed. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m going to guess that the Groton coach is very plugged in and gave you some great leads with this list of schools. Cheering for you from the sidelines!

4 Likes

It was my travel coach. He knows Coach Riley and got the assistant coach to come to one of our games we played in Mass (I’m from FL). He called Coach Riley after I got waitlisted and then this happened

Yeah, but these schools say they don’t have rolling admissions? Like they’re admission deadlines are M10. I know for sure KUA is M10

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the rolling admissions schools, as we had none on our radar, but I CAN 100% confirm that a couple of years ago when we suddenly worried that we might have not cast our net wide enough, we reached out to some schools that had J15 deadlines/ M10 decisions and asked if we could submit an application. And several of them confirmed that they DO accept a second round of applications…some version of: “we are always interested in finding the right student for our school.” In any case, I personally know of several kids who have put in late applications at J15/M10 schools and gotten offers.
So, if the Groton coach suggested these schools, I think you have a decent shot, regardless of the technical deadline. If you are the player they need for their team, they will likely be very interested in you!! You only need one. :slight_smile: Please keep us posted!

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend an admissions consultant who might be able to help with a late/second round application? I’ve reached out to a couple schools that have said they will look at an out of cycle application, and this seems like something I’d rather do “right” with some expert advice.

Sent you a message.

I sent you a PM.

Sorry, what does M10 mean?

March 10. Date decisions are released.