latina with obstacles.(chance me?)

<p>it was on another thread..i know.</p>

<p>I'll be a Senior in High School next year.
I'll be the first generation in my family to go to a university.
Also, my mom makes less than $50,000/yr, and I'm Hispanic. I live with a single parent.</p>

<p>My GPA right wit now stands at a 3.0, and though I did not take the most advanced courses in High School Freshman&Sophomore year, I really tried to work my way up last year and I will again next year.
A big reason behind my GPA was also that I was diagnosed with depression. That took its toll on my grades.
I did not take the ACT/SAT yet, but I'm planning to.
Also, I'm on the Big Sister program now that I'm a senior. I was in choir for three years, and also I'm on the academic team.</p>

<p>Next year I'm planning to take: Honors Arizona Government/Economics, English 4, Algebra 2, Anatomy, Psychology, and probably two other double-credit courses. I'm still thinking of what they'll be, since they are crucial and the last two courses I'll be able to take, besides the ones that I just said. </p>

<p>*I don't have a declared major.</p>

<p>I don't wanna go to a state university( I live in Arizona, and all three of them are easy to get into and anybody can go to them.)
I was thinking more something like, NYU, CMU, Duke, Vanderbilt.
I know with my GPA it's not a whole lot. But maybe i'll be considered with my background.
Thanks guys!
Marina</p>

<p>well, i would say to consider the state universities, as they will be easier to get into and much more convenient than your other options. tbh, your gpa is much to low to get into nyu, vanderbilt, cmu or duke, unless u score amazingly on your SATs and ACTs. I don’t think the universities will look too much into your background unless you make a compelling argument for it in your personal statements. (i’m also under similar circumstances, single parent, income below 50k and i barely got into ucd with a 3.4 unweighted gpa and 3.6 weighted) Good luck though</p>

<p>Unfortunately, a 3.0 unweighted is very low for schools such like Vanderbilt and Duke. Your being Hispanic and having dealt with depression will help you. However, a school will not admit someone if the admissions officers feel he or she is not qualified academically. This is regardless of anything else.</p>

<p>Your best bet is to apply RD to these places and do very well first semester. You should, of course, try your best to do well on the SAT and/or ACT. </p>

<p>But, even then, CMU, Duke, and Vanderbilt will be high reaches.</p>

<p>By the way, do you have a class rank or decile at least? This is helpful in understanding more completely your GPA and how it compares to others who have had the same class opportunities.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t think you are a competitive applicant at the schools you listed, but you can get an excellent education at your state universities and it’s a good value for you. If you are one of the better students there (and don’t assume you will be because many very smart people attend AZ universities), you will find that AZ universities offer many educational opportunities beyond the classroom. Worst case you attend for two years, get a high GPA in challenging courses, and transfer elsewhere. In all likelihood you will have found good friends, a satisfying major, and perhaps a mentor, and end up wondering why you ever thought you wanted to go to school anywhere else.</p>

<p>As long as you are ok with the idea of rejection and have backups, you should most definitely apply to those schools. You need to get application fee waivers. Though you may not be the strongest applicant, you’ll have no chance if you don’t apply. An excellent essay may compel the adcom to accept you. Just make sure you are prepared to deal with the possibility of disappointment. I got rejected at some schools but I am still glad to have applied there because I won’t wonder what might have happened if I had applied.</p>