Learning Communities

<p>If you list a learning community (such as CRC in Chadbourne) as your first choice, do you generally get it, or are the learning communities oversubscribed? Is everyone in Chadbourne in the CRC, or are Chadbourne and CRC separate choices?</p>

<p>Chadbourne and CRC are a packaged deal, you cant live in Chad without paying for the CRC costs. I got it, but I applied and paid my deposit for it right away. If you dont, you might not get it. If you list it as first choice, you will get it.</p>

<p>Jenny - was Chad a good choice for you? Are you planning to stay there or move off-campus? Do a lot of upperclassmen stay in Chad? What would you say the % of freshmen living there is? Thanks!</p>

<p>I liked Chad, everything you want is practically right at ur fingertips (dining hall, grocery store ish place classroom, computer center, good location, tutoring, etc).Im not staying, moving to a single. There’s a fair amount of upperclassmen, mostly sophmores i think. But they are on the lower levels. The majority are freshmen though, not sure on percentage.</p>

<p>I lived in Chad last year. I liked it as a dorm - great location, you have everything you need extremely conveniently. You can go on trips and stuff and hear talks and have activities and that’s all with the CRC thing, which you do have to pay for if you live there no matter what. You don’t have to participate in them at all though, I barely participated at all. I moved in midyear so I didn’t get to pick my room online, though I think it would be nice looking back if I could have. Majority are definitely freshmen, I’d say the mentality is kind of “smart-summer-camp-y,” if that makes sense. Lots of people who like to be social, but may not necessarily drink. There are a good amount of people who party but it’s not the dominant atmosphere. I liked it for the convenience and I’d recommend it to most people.</p>

<p>I know someone (a current freshman) who is NOT in the Chad ‘learning community’ (did not pay the extra $300) but does live in Chad (she listed Chad as her first choice). Perhaps that means that last year, Chad learning community was undersubscribed.</p>

<p>[CRC</a> | University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc]CRC”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc)
[CRC-Apply</a> | University Housing at UW-Madison](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/crc/join]CRC-Apply”>Join Board Games Club! – University Housing – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>If you list Chad as your first choice AND pick the learning community, you get to choose your exact room (Rooms Online) - handy if you have friends you want to live near or a specific roommate already agreed upon.</p>

<p>You can also apply for a grant to cover the $300 learning community fee if you have financial need.</p>

<p>Whats the international learning community like? I realize that where you live at a large state school is a huge factor in getting close friendships and having fun. I want to party and have a lot of fun while at Madison and I don’t want to live in a boring dorm. At the same time, I want academic stimulation and I really enjoy meeting people from other places, learning new languages, and learning about other cultures. Whats the social scene like among kids in the international learning community? What other dorms are there that could possibly fit my personality the best (from what little you know about me)?</p>

<p>If you could pick your room at Chad…what would be your preference?? Floor? Street facing?</p>

<p>I lived on the second floor facing Bascom Hill. I liked it a lot because I could just walk up the stairs - no waiting for elevators for me. It was super convenient. However, I think a lot of the people who do come back to Chad as sophomores (there are not a lot, but there are enough to fill up a floor) often live on the second floor, or at least they did when I was there. I had friends elsewhere though so I didn’t really worry about them. Still, my room’s location was pretty optimal, I think.</p>

<p>My daughter lives on the second floor, facing the back side (Bascom Hill) - she picked the same room for next year too after thinking about going to a higher floor for a view. She likes the convenience of taking the stairs. Also, there is no one underneath you when you are the 2nd floor (that wing) so no noise coming from below at night. </p>

<p>The second floor has 2 wings of girls and 1 wing of guys.</p>

<p>racmac – we toured the International learning community this winter. They are opening up more rooms for freshmen next fall. Many of the rooms are actually singles, and kids come in and out during the year because a lot of students live there the semester before they go for study abroad. The building is in the lakeshore area, so it has pretty surroundings. There is a kitchen in the basement for anyone to use, and a lounge area with a large TV. There are also dinners held there for international programs which students can pay to attend. There were definitely more girls than boys living there from what we could tell, and some wings are language-specific. If you go visit UW, or even email the learning community directly, they were very helpful and welcoming. Some of the rooms face the lake, and all the LCs allow students to pick their exact room early. Definitely reach out to their staff if you want more info.</p>