Learning Communities

<p>Hey All!
I have been getting a lot of information about applying for learning communities, and I wanted to know what you all thought. It doesn't look like the learning communities that I looked at are what I thought they would be... they are just groups of kids in the same major who have common classes and attend like gatherings together. I thought they would be like something where you get together with the kids in your major and a professor and spend extra time... 'learning' the material. Are these just like little clubs that get you to make friends or are the actually beneficial to my education? Like, do kids in learning communities spend more time talking about the material or is it just a way to make friends? I know some of the communities do extra projects that you can get credit/community service for, but I will be on 3 season athletic teams and will not be able to devote the 7 hours they were asking for to work on extra things.... I would rather do internships in the summer than extra projects during the school year that dont help my grades.
Let me know what you think!</p>

<p>Our daughter chose the UHP learning community and has a great floor of girls from all sorts of majors. They place the kids who chose a learning community 1st, and the UHP kids are in Shreve, which, to me is a country club! Most of her friends chose one of the science learning communities. I think the learning communities are a great place to start, so you will be living with others with similar interests.</p>